Snapmaker Electric Guitar idea!

Since the day I pledged my snapmaker, I’ve the idea of making my own Snapmaker Electrical guitar ! But I’m too unexperienced to do it all myself to make a good one and as far as I believe some Youtube video’s, it’s very doable !

3D printed guitar, example 1

This threads would be useless without pics ;

This is one of those video’s that inspired me to make/design myself a guitar from several pieces. But as we all know, Snapmaker is more than a 3D printer alone. How fun would it be to make a partly 3D printed and partly CNC milled (wood or plastic) guitar ? It would be a cool project for all of us who are inspired to make our own guitar? Not a single guitar would be the same, all snapmaker guitars do have the same shape, but parts would be printed in different colors, parts would be CNC’ed (?) from different types of wood… As long as there’s a small proof it’s a Snapmaker Guitar !

Another 3D printed guitar with the ‘module’ idea…

How cool would that be ? :smiley:

Any help would be welcome… Maybe share your knowledge and ideas here and hopefully we could all be part of this ‘project’ ? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Maybe a bit bold to reply on my own thread, but it’s possibly a bit more practical to share some drawings (dimensions) of guitars apart from the OP. I’m a big Mark Knopfler fan and like many guitar players, he also plays the legendary Les Paul guitar. I only have no clue what the measure units are in the next image ?

2 Likes

Wow! That is super cool Meike! Really hope some of our backers can make a guitar with Snapmaker!
By the way, I like playing guitar too (though haven’t practised for a long time…). =)

1 Like

I only can play Happy Birthday and the first tones of Nothing else Matters… :rofl:
Would really like to learn songs from John Mayor, Mark Knopfler and Metallica !

As far as I’ve seen, I need more like a 2 bridge guitar with a LesPaul-ish like sound than the 3 bridge guitar for more Metallica-ish stuff :slight_smile: I’m learning Fusion 360 step by step now and this idea is one of my longterm projects, but any help is welcome to make progress and share in our experiences ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the most difficult part is how to divide it into pieces and then to assemble them up.

Now snapmaker 3-in-1 could provide only size of 125x125x125mm, that’s pretty small for a guitar.

1 Like

A solid back and front plate is a basic for good acoustics…

Even with an “open-air” guitar, resonance will induce harmonics across any form of seam…

This goes back hundreds of years…

Physics matters…

william…

@Noah I thought about something like dovetail connections or something.

@william.o.yates My english isn’t that good to understand your reply, can you explain a bit more your pro or con about this idea ? As far I can read it, you’re not that positive about an open design guitar ? But I think, with an open design, it can stay solid, as long as the parts are solid and strongly made… There are several 3D printed guitars with an open design that will sound pretty good as I can say ?

BTW, this week I thought about an interchangeable guitar, where you can change the body for different gigs or sets… Like my idol Mark Knopfler plays the les Paul guitar, he also plays a resonator-guitar, the famous National Style ‘O’ ;

Would it be possible to make a part at the bottom (behind the bridge) that you can take out and change for a part with something like a membrane that resonates ?

I think the best option would be to use an excisting guitar neck + headstock. That’s the hardest part to reproduce on the snapmaker, so that would be a much easier approach and would be fun to engrave it with our laser module instead of making the neck. There’s also allready a thread about this subject on FB !

1 Like

I am very PRO all things DIY… (do it yourself)

To make a complete front or back plate for acoustic guitar, you need to either have a work area large enough, or think of some way to print a partial plate, move it, print some more, and repeat…

Seams of any type cause harmonics (ie: non-pure tone)…

Look into history of all acoustic instruments, and you find that this is the truth…

Sorry if I came across as a downer, I actually wish you success…

william…

But I never talked about an acoustic guitar :wink: I know an acoustic guitar would be very hard to make with 3D printing… almost impossible I think, for electric guitatars there are multiple examples it could work and compared to the acoustic guitar creativity is almost limitless :wink:

So, let’s kick this thread a bit

I’m a bit inspired again ! 2 days ago I saw the following video… A guy made a 3d printed Formula RC car on steroids… scaled the thing up 4 times to a big monster in very weird colours, but in fact, he made me think, what if we model a snapmaker guitar, based on a Stratocaster or LesPaul and cut it to a bunch of funny shape pieces the same as he did with Meshmixer ?? And glue it back together if you’ve printed them all. Well, no, not all I guess…

What if we use a specific list of elements, bridge, neck etc and then you can print it for yourself in a period of time you are happy with it… ?!

I’m still thinking of making some 3d printed elements too with a click-on system with a metal membrane that resonates the strums…