Snapmaker 2.0 and Vectric VCarve Desktop - a good match?

Hi,
As a new to Snapmaker 2.0 ( received my A350 in last December ) I’ve tested out some CNC works but haven’t been blown away with the performance of Luban. I truly hope the company will put more effort into the software. I guess it’s not easy to design a program which would perform fantastically in all three disciplines. Thanks to this forum I have looked closely on what the Company Vectric could offer and I’ve now been testing out their VCarve Desktop trial software which is designed for hobbyists and small CNC machines. After doing some stupid mistakes with the setup I have finally ( or SM A350 ) produced a nice looking result. I was wondering if someone in this forum have more experience of using VCarve Desktop
and Snapmaker and what your thoughts are ? Are they a good match worth spending over 300 USD?

For this work I used Pawlovia wood ( 18mm thick ) which is nice to CNC. Dimensions: 200mm x 300mm.
I made two files : one rough pass with Flat end mill / double flute 3.175mm and the final pass with V-bit.
All in all it took some 26 hours to finish. With some small adjustments, I’m sure it can be made faster.
I hope my post can help some of you who is in the same situation as I am wondering how to improve the CNC result with Snapmaker. Cheers

7 Likes

Luban has the stated goal of being low barrier to entry. They want new users to be able to use it with minimal training. It’s never going to have the kind of power user features or control that prosumer or professional users will want.

Your flower is beautiful. :smiley:

1 Like

WAUW, what a great result!
I looks realy nice!

Well Done!

Hi Jameson!
I have a Snapmaker 2.0 as well, as well as VCarve desktop installed n my computer!! As a Real
beginner i need some advice on how to get the file(*.crv) from the design stage to the Snapmaker CNC.
If I could impose on you for the info I would GREATLY appreciate your advice!
Thank you so much!!!

Hi,
I’m completely new as well and done a ton of reading through forums etc. in order to manage this topic.
I hope you’ll succeed with the following, rather simple advice. But be cautious, in a few cases Snapmaker didn’t approve the file and gave me an error code.
I assume you have done your design and now want to transfer the VCarve file over to Snapmaker. In the Toolpath menu you need to save the file(s) as Grbl (mm) ( *.gcode). Next, you need to change the file format to *.CNC. Now, when you open Luban, drag the desired file into Workspace ( not to CNC G-code generator ). Your image of the work will appear in the workspace. Next, simply check that your computer is online with Snapmaker and click on the PLAY-icon in workspace. The file will now upload to Snapmaker ( check the control panel ) and starts momentarily. Be sure that you’re near the Snapmaker on-off switch just in case. I hope this will help you and I’m looking forward to see your work here.
Keep safe !

Thanks so much for your response!! VCarve is working VERY well with my A350!!! Now I just need to get a little more familiar with the software. The tutorials are very helpful in getting what I want as a final project.
I can’t thank you enough!!!

Hi,
glad that I could assist you. Have fun and keep safe !

Your flower looks stunning! This is a very nice piece, congratulations.

Unfortunately I can’t help with any knowledge.