SM2 power module noise

It is a remarkably easy fix. But now I have to change the second fan in the PS that I didn’t know was there because the case fan was so loud. Snapmaker 2 power supply fan swap - Imgur
While I was in there I also disconnected that obnoxious light.

2 Likes

Now it’s not breathing, you killed it! :rofl:

3 Likes

Really interesting, thanks for sharing and please let us know.

@brent113: back to our Winsinn 3510… what about this dual ball bearing version?

Which one is the best for our power module?

The reading I’ve done suggests fluid bearings are the quietest and longest life.

1 Like

Ok thanks, I trust you man! :slight_smile:

I agree, the standard white light is way too strong - but I have made a good solution for it, with a orange led diffuser. It works really well :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have used a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX with a buck converter, that works great. Now the PSU is not bothering my anymore.

For the exhaust fan I used a Noctua NF-A8 FLX. Its not pulling that much air at 12v, but very silent and efficient enough for my use.

You can look at my solution her:

hello, just ordered this fan per your suggestion. how easy is it to switch polarity if they are reversed?

The connectors have a small hook inside you need to depress (sometimes rather forcefully) to remove. Something pointy works best, I usually use a pair of tweezers that are pointy at the end.

Also, it was surprisingly difficult to find an image of the hook.

You won’t really be able to see the hook because it’s small, but if you 1) push the wire into the connector to relieve pressure on the hook, then 2) jam the tool in and down to depress the hook and 3) push out hopefully it’ll remove from the housing after a few tries.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. I originally ordered a different fan that was suggested in the fb group but those didn’t have connectors already and I didn’t really want to cut and splice the connectors in the original fan lol (haven’t really done this before so I’m a little hesitant) but this one makes it so much easier :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got it. Stubborn ass little hooks

1 Like

Is the polarity on the snapmaker module itself backwards? Because the original red pin does need + and original black pin does need -

i got it rigged up to a lil cable and 24 v source, lil bugger can blow some air!

I’m just asking because I wonder if the particular fan i received is wired differently than yours was.

I guess I will figure it out when I get home one way or the other though!

On the Fan, is the rated voltage 12V or 24V? just to make sure its not blowing hard but short instead of less strong but longer :smiley:

24v is the snapmaker voltage

Just making sure you got 24V fans for the SN, as someone mentioned that the amazon listing changed.

Red is positive, black is negative. As far as I can tell there’s not a strict standard for how fan polarity has to be in the connector. I have fans of all different kinds with a variety of each.

You can look at the silkscreen printed on the fan connector and verify which one is +. On mine at least, the fan wires had to be switched. It was obvious when holding the old and new fan connectors together. Something like this:

1 Like

Received my Snapmaker last week and after the first power up I was suprised how ridiculously loud the PSU is. Also designed (yet another) fan bracket for the exhaust fan without the need of modificating the back plate. Thought I might share with you::

Also made a short video for comparison of the stock fan to a Noctua fan if someone who hasn’t received the Snapmaker is wondering what everybody is talking about… :sweat_smile:

After silencing the exhaust the PSU wasn’t as quiet as expected so I took a closer look at the power supply. Installed is a 350W “Great Wall” PSU, the venting holes made quite some whistling noise.
First i thought of printing a new cover but since it is a low profile PSU without much room to the top of the enclosure I wouldn’t be very comfortable with a (thermo)plastic cover so close to heat sources.
So instead I removed this venting hole part completely and sanded the edges down.

Now the whistling noise is gone but still have to replace the integrated fan to quiet it down to a reasonable sound level.

2 Likes

I used NUS-2412E2K (small DC to DC converter package) instead of LM2596.

That looks like a pretty quiet fan eh?

The one I put in is certainly quieter than the original, but is still a bit noisy

Certanly I am a little bit crazy :clown_face: but honestly …,. I like the sound of my snapmaker