SM2 power module noise

The noctua 40x40x20 comes with LNA and ULNA in-line resistors. There’s no need for buck converters, etc. At 50mA, the resistors only have to burn off about 1/2 W. Even a simply metal film resistor can handle around 3W.

I just finished assembling the A350 and enclosure. I sent them my negative feedback about the poor quality fans both in the power supply and in the exhaust port of the enclosure. I haven’t installed the 3D print module yet and bet that one is also cheap and loud. I work in an 18x12 home office with wife and she thought the street cleaner was parked outside of our street-side apartment. It surprised me that they cut these corners yet spent a billion years designing Apple-esk packaging and assembly booklets. A $2000+ printer and enclosure and $0.50 fan? I don’t get it.

5 Likes

This post might be interesting to you :slight_smile:
FYI: Snapmaker 2 & Enclosure Fan Information plus alternatives

1 Like

Unfortunately, you’re just seeing the first of many such allocations: lots of effort making appearances look slick, insufficient effort making a real quality product.

3 Likes

Sigh. What other major showstoppers haven’t I come across yet? I’m already not happy with enclosure doors.

Just swapped the original power module fan with the 3510 suggested by brent113… great improvement! About 8/10db quieter and the new one looks pretty identical to the original one. Hope the air flow is the same to non have any issue.

Big thanks to brent113! :slight_smile:

PS now I have 4 more 3510 fans… do you know if we can replace some other original fan? What about the fans inside the 3D Module?

1 Like

The link above Franky posted has all the fan information. Like every fan is different unfortunately. I had a replacement fan failure, so keep them handy - they are cheap, and not in the good way.

1 Like

Not sure to had catch well: you got fan failure with the new 3510 or the original fans are cheap and not reliable?

Thanks

The new fan.

20 chars

Auch! :frowning:
Do you think it would be better to get back to the original one? Can you please keep us informed on any news? I just don’t want to burn or break my little Snap! :slight_smile:

I mean don’t throw the original away, it’s a functional fan, just insanely loud.

To be honest I think I bumped the fan a bit hard before installing and it caused a loud rattle so I replaced it. It wasn’t a catastrophic failure though.

Maybe the hydraulic bearings are a bit more fragile than I’m used to.

Ok thanks for sharing!

A little teflon lube (I had some for bike chains laying around) in the door groove helps the slide. And tabs on the part you want to hinge ‘out’.

I’m with you on the fan though - noisy as heck. Haven’t tried swapping mine yet, waiting until warranty expires to be “safe” they don’t give me any guff should I have other issues. (So far I’ve had great success printing, almost everything has been fine except an inability to get ABS to stick to their plate so far so I’ve stuck to PLA. A couple initial successes with lasering although the camera align mode has been garbage for me. Haven’t tried and probably won’t anytime soon the CNC as this is an indoor machine and I don’t want the mess…)

1 Like

@Franky, on that page you wrote 25x25x10, but it appears that it should be 35x35x10 for the PSU fan. (XYJ24B3510H)

Fully right, the links are ok but the description is wrong :slight_smile:
Thanks for pointing it out !

Hi guys, and hi @brent113,
it’s some days that I’m using the fan you suggested and it seems to works very well but… sometimes when I switch on my Snap I can hear some kind of “rattle” from the new fan!
The “rattle” disappear after less than a minute so it seems like the fan has to warm up.
Any idea? Is it normal?

1 Like

Is it really loud and annoying? That might be what happened to me, I had to throw one away. The 2nd fan I’m on has lasted some time now.

Yes it’s quite loud.
Maybe I have to throw it away too… we’ll see! :slight_smile:

I have just ordere the same fan. Hopefully it will bring the noise down. Also i’m considering to create a silencer based on the same princips as used i ventilation system. I have printed one, that fits over the house and sits in front on the fan. It helps but not enough.

Haha brent, another instance of the vendor changing the link. Now these are a 5 pack of 24V 3510 fans

This time maybe in your favor though

Although maybe ill go an extra step and upgrade to the dual ball bearing instead of the hydraulic bearing

1 Like

I have replaced the following.

YDM4010B24
40mm,23.20dBA,5.07CFM
Amazon.com : YDM4010B24
It’s quieter now.

1 Like