Slicing never completes

I have created a small item in Sketchup checked that there were no mesh issues then exported it has a stl file. Luban starts the slicing process but never goes beyond 27.6%Picture frame stand1.stl (128.5 KB) . Can anyone tell me what is going on? there is no difficult about just a straight right angle picture hold. I have tried Cura same issues I am guessing that I am doing something wrong.

I can slice it fairly quickly in Cura 4.7.1. But it doesnā€™t print anything. The object shows as a gray outline with 1 layer and no head movements. Itā€™s pretty small too, 11mm x 8mm x 7mm is a pretty small picture stand.

Iā€™m not good at 3D modeling, so Iā€™m just thinking out loud here. I think you made the walls of the model too very thin. Luban and Cura will only print horizontal features that are 0.4mm wide (the size of the nozzle; configurable in Cura). It can do smaller in the Z direction, because the layer height is controlled by the Z axis, not the nozzle diameter. If I scale up your model by 1250% (so itā€™s ~120mm tall), I do get layers, tool head movement, and infill.

The bottom of the model looks odd as well. Iā€™m not entirely sure, but it looks like Iā€™m seeing infill on the first layer? Iā€™m not sure the model has a wall on the bottom. But when I rotate the piece to lay on its side, the bottom renders correctly, so maybe itā€™s an artifact of the thin walls.

You werenā€™t kidding

Either way, 7" or 7mm, slices fine for me in S3D:

It passed all the manifold and normals checks, so I donā€™t think thereā€™s much wrong with the model.

I manage to get it working, lol, scaled it by a 1000 percent it, the way the Luban presence its numbers are what through me. Once I am used to using the printer, I will start using Cura just want to get use to using SM without having other things in the mix.

Great fun thou.

Yep, it was the scale that was the issue, scaled it by a 1000% which worked fine.

And I will start to use Cura once I am used to SM2.

In regard to printing I manage to print it, but it lifted from the bed about a quarter of the way into the print. Is it possible to change the skirt on the print? is it possible in Luban?

Yes. Custom settings, add with + button to enable changes

There was some comments above I can add to with a little success

3d printing seems to be all metric based, so if you are modeled in imperial you have to convert.

However,

If you use Cura as you say you will, there is an add on called ā€œBarbarian Unitsā€ which will automatically apply the correct conversion scale to the part.

However again, if the part is small to begin with, Cura may automatically scale it due to a setting enabled by default to scale up tiny models, which you would probably need to disable.

Barbarian Units addon is a great little plugin for cura :smiley:

Also, as said above, thinner lines get skipped over in cura, but you do have an option in the advanced settings to print thin lines, although I canā€™t speak to the success and or durability of lines so thin that they requre the box checked.

1 Like

And frankly, youā€™re better off just going to Cura sooner than later, you still need Luban to send the files to the machine, but Cura just has an infinitely better list of settings etc.

Also, auto-orientation addon in cura is also a lifesaverā€¦ get that one too. When you use the auto orient from the menu, it will flip it around to the best case scenario so you dont have to goof around with rotating it and so forth.

1 Like

Barbarian Units, interesting name for an ad on Barbarian it is a team the ancient Greeks used to use, I would love to know why the developer (developers) chose that name.

Yep, you are right, I am going to go with Cura will install those add on, thanks for the info.

Perhaps the name was selected because of the English saying: ā€œBarbarians at the gateā€, in relation to the rest of the world using metric and the USA being the last place where imperial units are used, being invaded, meter by meter :wink:

https://www.slader.com/discussion/question/what-is-the-origin-and-meaning-of-the-phrase-barbarians-at-the-gate/

Edit: Actually, the GitHub page says it all: https://github.com/nallath/barbarianPlugin