Sizing lasercut files

How do you properly size laser cut files. I downloaded some things I’d like to cut out, but when I import them to Luban, it shrinks them down.

I can scale them up, but since more than one piece is included in the workspace, it is impossible to know the dimensions of an individual piece. For abstract shapes it’s okay (I guess), but for items that require dimensional accuracy (finger joints need to measure the same as the material thickness) - how do you do it?

1 Like

Check in any software the size of the document (I use Inkscape --> file --> document properties). Then, right after importing the .svg to Luban, enter the size of the document and everything will get back to the correct size.

1 Like

Thanks for that! It’s been driving me crazy. I have started generating g-code in Lightburn because I know the dimensions will come out correct.

There is a bug about this for Luban: https://github.com/Snapmaker/Luban/issues/502

Notice that if you import the provided “gift box” project it is also way to small.

How has your experience with Lightburn been? Is it hard to get the z-alignment correct?

I’m thinking I may want to try something else since Luban is giving me so much trouble.

Lightburn is great, with a few caveats: the Snapmaker serial buffer size makes direct USB comms between lightburn and the machine an impossibility. You have to export the gcode, change the extension to .nc, then load and run from the touchscreen.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to with z-alignment, as if you run from the touchscreen you do the z height setting there and not in lightburn.

1 Like

I just use it to generate g-code.

Some of the files that I download don’t fit on my material, so I reposition everything, or split into two files in Lightburn, then generate g-code. I open the g-code in Luban Workspace and send to the printer via WiFi.

For some reason, the Lightburn .nc files don’t show up on screen when I use the USB, so I send them via Luban.

Make sure that the actual file extension on the file is “.nc”

For some Windows machines the extension may be hidden, which might result in a file called my_job.nc.txt or my_job.nc.cnc

1 Like

Just to follow up here, I did try Lightburn and it is indeed excellent. It has a massive number of really useful features. I don’t think I’ll even consider Luban for using the Laser going forward.

2 Likes