Should the print head fan run all the time?

Not the part cooling fan but the internal fan. I can’t hear it running nor feel any airflow. I ask because the head is getting very hot and the PLA filament strips on the gear about 2 hours into a print.
Thanks.
John

Yea, there’s an internal one for cooling the head itself that’s always running, you can see it if you open up the right side of the head and remove the flat aluminum plate. Maybe take the plate off and turn on the head to make sure it’s running?

Yes, as “nivekmai” already writes, there is a fan (see picture “Cooling fan”) that sits under the gear and blows air onto a heat sink so that the filament does not melt until it enters the heater block (see picture Heater block).

If this fan is not running after you start 3D printing, it can lead to blockages in the heat sink (see picture Heat sink) and no more filament will be fed.

This fan should start at the latest at 60 degrees in the heater block (see picture Heater block) and then only stop again when the heater block (see picture Heater block) has cooled down to 60 degrees again!
(I can’t tell you exactly when it starts and stops on Snapmaker, but it does that automatically. I can’t check it right now because I’m lasering).

So if your fan does not run, so contact the support, this is an error in the 3D printing module, the fan must definitely run!

hotend_scheme