Severe Issues with Z-offset and Dual Extrusion

I’m having some severe problems with my z-offset and my dual extrusion module. I downloaded the 2 color benchy and was able to alight it properly in luban and scale it up to 2x the normal size. I assigned L to a green PLA and R to a yellow PLA, both based on the standard PLA presets. I ran auto z calibration but when I was running it, I got under extruded results that were not being pressed in to the board (though I did actually have reasonably decent layer adhesion, aside from the fact that it was putting on individual strings of PLA rather than a connected layer.

So I attempted to lower the z offset, but while I was able to get a layer that actually connected, I lost bed adhesion and could never get a full first layer to stick. I decided to give up on an offset on the automatic z offset and ran a manual z-calibration instead. This went well the first time, but after getting a near perfect first layer, the print head moved about a half centimeter up for the second layer and started printing in to empty space.

At this point I figured maybe there was an issue with the g-code, so I did a new export of g-code for the print, but that g-code “printed” starting a cm in the air and never even extruded anything, though it followed the expected path if it was actually extruding and in contact with the build plate. At this point I power cycled the machine and tried another manual z calibration and I couldn’t complete the R hand side calibration, when clicking save, nothing happens, but then backing up to the previous screen seemingly completes it, but the same behavior is observed on the print, it “prints” with no extrusion at all 1cm above the bed.

At this point I’m out of ideas. I’m leaning towards there being some kind of serious bug in Luban that is giving me junk g-code, but I’m not sure. Could also be a bug processing the g-code on the machine side, but something is seriously wrong. I’m running the latest firmware as of today and downloaded the newest version of Luban off the site today.

Download the log. It has plain text and might give you a clue. I would reload the firmware from the usb… sounds like something is messed up.

make sure to check mechanical issues. The system is really sensitive to drag.

The entire unit moved up, not just the head. The Z axis itself moved significantly. And after my update it wasn’t extruding anything at all, but if I go back and do one of the tests, it starts printing stuff again.

Solved it. Too much friction with the filament and tubes were pulling the nozzle in the air. Installed the snapmaker dual holder and the tubes… worked just fine.

Fun fact, if your bed sensor fails on this guy it’ll just map itself in the air. Only way to get around it is to disconnect it…