Replacing nozzle

Hi! can anyone please tell me how you replace the nozzle? My spare nozzle kit has a broken wire and I have already ordered new kits but I dont think I will get it anytime soon so I would like to attempt to change the nozzle on my existing one. I have printed a bunch of glow in the dark PLA so it’s not working right anymore.
Is changing the nozzle just heating it up and using a wrench to remove the existing one? what do I do with the PTFE inside? I have not done this before and are finding conflicting info here. Thank you!

When you open the filament panel at the front of the printer module, these is a hole with a black “grub screw” that needs to be loosened. With filament stuck in the head, I would suggest cutting the filament off within the print unit and then use a soldering iron to try and heat the nozzle to help release the filament. The whole print head will slide out and you can then disconnect the cable connector. Putting the new one is is just the reverse.

1 Like

@bridgland Thanks for posting, but that is how to replace the hot end. The nozzle is the brass bit on the end of the hot end.

To remove it I recommend pulling the hot end out, heating up the nozzel (however you like to do that) then using 2 wrenches, one on the heat block and one on the nozzel.

2 Likes

I stand corrected after re-reading the original posting.

1 Like

Did you manage to change the nozzle as Atom suggests?

Any additional problems with the wenches?

1 Like

a slight mistake…

1 Like

There is an edit button on your posts :slight_smile:
But you made me laugh so hard I hope you don’t edit this one :rofl:

2 Likes

btw what type/size of screwdriver is appropriate?

Sorry you’ll have to be a bit more specific. All of the normal screws should use one of the 4 sizes that are inside the screwdriver snapmaker included with the printer. If your referring to what size screwdriver to remove the nozzel (as some people use a screw driver rather then wrenches) I’m not sure but could test and let you know (if I had to guess I would say it’s a 1/4" drive but that is probably wrong xD)

Yea they are 7mm, which fits in a 1/4" nut driver.

1 Like

I knew I was wrong… but close. Thanks Brent.

hope im not confusing everyone

i think Im just trying to “loosen” the hot end by turning something which I cant exactly see located at the bottom of the print module with the door open…

I presume its a screw or nut but whatever it is, it seems smaller than 7mm ?

feature 2

TIA

First, some terminology, from a more industry standard model:

Replacing the nozzle refers only to the brass nozzle, not the heat block or anything else. The nozzle is 7mm and is changed with a 1/4" nut driver while holding the heat block with a crescent wrench.

The combination of the nozzle + heat block + heater + thermistor + heat break is called the “hot end assembly”, or just the “hot end”.

That video you have there of loosening a small grub screw is how you change the hot end. Snapmaker sells replacement hot ends on their online store.

If you only want to change a nozzle that is a separate process than changing the hot end.

To change the hot end on the Snapmaker you disconnect the connector, loosen the small grub screw on the front, and pull the entire hot end assembly out in 1 piece. Installation is the reverse.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive reply …

i was simply trying to identify the locking mechanism which is called a grub screw which I could not see. I now know !

Many thanks

Can the nozzle be changed in-place? Or does the hot end have to be removed? I gave it a quick go with a nut driver but the heater block just spun around. Not sure there’s room to get a wrench in there.

I for my part take the hotend out put a new hotend in and change the nozzle at the old one.

Turns out there is enough room to insert the jaws of some needle nose pliers around the heater block to keep it from moving. Not to grip it obviously, just to act as a wedge to keep it from moving. Worked great!

Long-term, I don’t want to be doing that as I might carelessly mar the heater block. I’ll cut something out of aluminum in the shop once i have the print head idle and can measure it.

Im glad you were able to get it rigged so you can keep playing.

Ultimately, you will need to be able to remove the hotend. It is consumable.

the PTFE liner will wear out over time, and other issues can arise as well

Perhaps you can ask support@snapmaker.com for some advice as to why your hotend refuses to come out.

i recently had some filament REFUSE to come out of the 3dp module. it ended up being the limit switch for filament runout detection had gotten botched up with the filament in between the lever and switch body and got all jammed up.

they may advise you on some disassembly method ot avoid damaging things.

i will note that they revised the hotend assembly a bit and its smaller than it previous was. i suspect they did that because of the very issue you are having.

Guess this is not really relevant, i didnt pay attention to the timeline and who was posting.

Ok, so to replace the nozzle do you need to heat it up? Is it supposed to be heard to turn? Can you heat the nozzle up when it is off the machine and on the workbench if you are careful not to melt the silicone around the block? How tightly should you screw it back in and should you tighten while hot? Thanks.

Prusa has pretty good instructions on this I always reference. Steps 3 and on.

I’ve changed nozzles cold, so it doesn’t necessarily have to be hot, but if it can’t easily be turned cold then try hot.

1 Like