Remote observance

I have the SM 2.0 A350. Due to the increased occurrences of failed prints (I admit user error but nonetheless, failed prints), I am limited to only printing when I am able to physically watch it. I’ve ruined a few 3D modules because of it. Is there a way to check up on the prints remotely as well as have the ability to abort the print if needed?

1 Like

Can I suggest using Octoprint running on Raspberry PI with an inexpensive Webcam? This permits management through a browser interface and is very convenient. The major cost is a LCD panel for the console of the PI.

Thank you so much for responding. I did read something about octoprint and Raspberry Pi. Please point me in the right direction to go about setting it up. I am not very intelligent when it comes to DIY electronics. (probably why my prints fail. LOL). Are there tutorials on how to do it? You tube videos? Anything.

Hello

It is quite a while since I set up Octoprint but this should help.

To use OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi, you can follow the steps outlined in this tutorial video ](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUOLHOrrqGo)1.

Here is a brief summary of the steps:
0. Obtain a Raspberry Pi (3 or above) with three USB, a HDMI port and Wifi. Such as
https://www.amazon.com/ELEMENT-Element14-Raspberry-Pi-Motherboard/dp/B07P4LSDYV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NBI7LRFTKP43&keywords=raspberry+pi+3&qid=1703896180&sprefix=Rasp%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

You will need a small power supply and I recommend one with an on/off switch. Also an HDMI LCD panel or small TV is needed for the Pi Console at startup.
A USB Webcam is the final piece needed.

1. Download and run the Raspberry Pi Imager utility and write the OctoPi disk image to a micro SD card, setting the network, password, and other options.
  2. Insert the micro SD card into the Raspberry Pi, connect it to the printer with a USB cable, and power it on.
  3. Open a web browser and access the Raspberry Pi’s IP address or hostname, and go through the OctoPrint setup wizard, creating a user account and setting up the printer profile.
  4. Connect to the printer and upload a G-code file by dragging and dropping it into the browser window, and start the print job.
  5. Monitor the print progress, temperature, and webcam feed, and optionally enable time-lapse recording.

You can also refer to this video guide 2 or this tutorial 3
for more detailed instructions.
Happy printing! :printer:

Note the PI can start and Stop the SM but cannot power on or off.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for that. I’m not smart enough to do that myself so at least I have a guide for whoever I hire to do it. Thank you so much. I really want to do more printing when I’m away.

I use to use octoprint, but it’s overload just for camera purposes. I now just use a pi zero W running a lightweight camera app.

My solution won’t completely solve your problem, but to watch my Snapmaker I bought a pretty cheap Blink camera from Amazon (I already had several Blink cameras set up to monitor my house) and stuck it inside my Snapmaker enclosure pointing at the print/laser/cnc bed. I can use the Blink app on my phone to watch whatever my Snapmaker is doing. I can’t abort the print from the Blink app (of course), but at least I can check on it periodically to see if it is okay. If not, I can go stop it directly from the Snapmaker controller. It isn’t necessarily a perfect solution for monitoring prints, but it’s pretty cheap and simple - just have to buy another camera, add it to your Blink system, then stick it inside your Snapmaker enclosure. I’m sure other brands of cameras used for home monitoring systems would work just as well.

Thanks Pete, I got a camera for Xmas so that isn’t my problem. The problem is being able to stop a print that is failing. I am not smart enough to do the DIY Raspberry Pi/Octoprint thing myself. I think I might have found a solution though. I would like to hear your thoughts about it. What if I set up the camera to watch the print and also run the power cord to the Snapmaker through a smart plug. I can certainly control the smart plug remotely. When I see my print messing up, I go to my smart plug and cut the power. What do you think?

I think your solution will work, but cutting the power might cause some issues. The print head won’t retract, and cutting the power will leave plastic in the nozzle, which might cause a nasty clog that could be difficult to clear. Also, you will have to make sure the smart plug is rated to handle enough power for the Snapmaker. Some may not be able to handle the Snapmaker’s power requirements. That said, it’s probably worth trying.

There’s no printing situation where cutting the power would be a reasonable action, except in the case of a fire. Hence the reason I never leave printing unattended. There are services like Spaghetti Detective, etc that use AI to monitor prints gone awry.

You can access octoprint server via web browser interface from a computer in your network… no need for a LCD panel if that is possible (although having a dedicated LCD panel for the pi which will be close to the printer is convenient…).

I got mine from: EZPi P4+ Octoprint Kit - 3D Printer Network Controller - Raspberry Pi4 - TH3D Studio LLC

A very nice packaged solution. I built mine from parts that I had lying around.

Thanks, I’ll let you know how it goes.

I use such a setup since long. Works fine.