Quick Change Heads

Anyone think it would be possible to convert the Snapmaker to some sort of quick change configuration for the different modules?

Im thinking somehow installing some metal pins on the lead screw plate that fit into the screw holes of the modules and then some sort of printed band to hold the module to the plate.

I haven’t got the time but i’ll definitely look into it in the future. I can be a pain to change modules, especially if it’s in an enclosure.

Food for thought.

I have given this some thought in the past. Some special screws that screw into the modules and then have a feature on the end of the screw that would snap on to the mounting plate. I think it could work fine for the 3d printing and laser etching modules. The force and vibration of the carving module might be problematic.

My other idea on this is to have a dovetail like feature that mounts on the back of the modules and then slides onto the mount plate and locks in place with a lever. That one could perhaps be 3D printed with the carbon fiber reinforced material. You might have to make some adjustments to get the head aligned in the X direction.

Those are both great ideas. I’m just now getting Ziro’s carbon fiber filament tuned in.

If I get a spare second, I’ll see if I can sketch something up.

Also if something is mounted to the back of the module, it would throw off the Y dimension. I’m sure you could compensate in software somewhere but that sounds like to much work. :sweat_smile:

Hi @Tone

I was thinking of a sliding bayonet mount with a locking mechanism. lock/unlock and slide heads in or out

Doug

Don’t even have mine yet but I’m a fixture kinda guy. The “special screws” idea is great! You would need them to simply stay in the back of the modules and be longer protruding the back side of the mounting plate. Then you would need a groove to slide a quick clip that has a slot to hold the module tight. The groove would probably have to be turned in a lathe unless you think you could print screws like that…does that make sense?

Yeah that makes sense.

What I’m thinking now is some shallow screws that thread into the module but have a solid shank protruding that are the exact size of the holes on the linear module. Then 3D print a strap or clip of sorts that holds the module against the plate.

This would work for 3D printing and laser but I’d solid bolt it on for the CNC.

Jake