Problem confirmation models

Another newbie type question…

when trying to resolve a problem with a print it would be useful to run a test model that wouldattempt to confirm whether a certain issue is true or not.

for example

is the z height too low or too high,

is there over extrusion or under extrusion or neither, etc

Is it possible to create a collection of quality troubleshooting models ?

or is this just a newbie’s day dream

Models intended to test for specific problems are scattered all over Thingiverse. I suppose we cound compile a list.

…it just.seems that a sort of trouble shooting library of models would simplify searching through hundreds/thousands of suggestions - some good some not

They are easy to find on Thingiverse, SM should probably include on in Luban, along with a laser calibration grid

@xchrisd put together a 3D Print Guide with just such a list in Section 4. He even pre-generated GCode for some tests that require manually editting the GCode after slicing.

His guide is more aimed at dialing everything in ahead of time, rather than diagnosing after the fact. My prints have been much better since I went through it.

1 Like
  1. FINETUNE YOUR SOFTWARE SETTINGS TEST-SECTION

many thanks for hint…

although its a bit on the embryonic side

Unfortunately its not possible to edit my post of the walk through guide any more…

Maybe this is what you are looking for :wink:

Please dont get me wrong .

Im too much of a novice to know whats is possible and what is not.

Im just trying to work out if most technical issues can be clarifed using models.

The guide is a great compilation

1 Like

From scrolling through the forums I’ve found that users tend to be pretty good at diagnosing issues by whatever print failed. However, a calibration cube seems to be popular for diagnosing problems since it is a simple, quick print but can show things such as ghosting, warping, under/over-extrusion, first layer z-height issues, etc. I would recommend that no matter what, a picture of the first layer is taken as there are many things that can go wrong there that then get worse over time.

If the issue is just calibration a guide that users are often sent to is Teaching Tech 3D Printer Calibration (teachingtechyt.github.io) as it is pretty easy to follow and can solve a lot of general calibration issues. And a print using something like MINI All In One 3D printer test by majda107 - Thingiverse can be good for seeing how successful you were and if there are any glaring issues. Along this vein of calibration are also a temperature and a retraction tower, which I believe are in the tutorial I linked.

Beyond that it is too difficult to predict what to recommend as you’d have to predict everything that can go wrong and make a test for it, as well as make tests that can cover multiple issues to minimize how many tests you have to make and so recommending models on a case by case basis and getting whatever you can from a failed print might be the best way to go.