Prints not sticking to bed

I have recently got a snapmaker, and my first print was fine, but now my prints will never stick to the bed and they just turn into a mess of PLA. Does anyone know what is going on?

(The following is generic advice that assumes you’ve seen the problem with multiple models, or with one of the really common testing models like the XYZ calibration cube. If all your failures have been with the same model, try printing something different to make sure the model isn’t the culprit.)

Your nozzle may not be quite the right distance from the bed. Try adjusting it down a hair.

Is your print bed clean? Wipe it down with isopropyl alcohol if you’re not sure.

If you’re getting a usable first layer but the print detaches afterwards, try adding a raft or a brim when you slice.

You can increase the stick-to-itiveness of your print bed by covering it with acid-free glue stick, or with a (much more expensive) product marketed for 3D printer adhesion, like Magigoo.

1 Like

Other than what ElloryJaye pointed out, I would also investigates the filaments and increase the bed temperature if it’s not already at 70.

Over the years I have avoided specific brands due to their un-stickiness.

Try another filament brand and see if you end up with the same behavior.

I am using the snapmaker black PLA. Do you know if this is a good filament or not?

The Snapmaker filament is . . . questionable. They don’t manufacture it themselves, and no one knows whether they always get it from the same source or not, so there’s no guarantee of consistent quality. (They do seem to have dropped the supplier that produced the horrible filament that was shipped in some Kickstarter rewards packages, though.) “Overpriced and mediocre” is probably as good a description as any.

Unless you’re really strapped for cash, I’d pick up a spool of Hatchbox or eSun or some other common brand-name moderately-priced filament to experiment with.

I used the spool back at the time of the kickstarter, no issues at the time.
That said, eSun is my go to brand.

I also find eSun and SUNLU very good. They are not really any more expensive than Snapmaker which printed fine for me till I got half way through the spool then suffered tangles which led to a wasted print. Cheaper is not always better plus hours lost when printing due to a bad spool simply makes them poor value for money.