Prints not solid

All of my prints look like scaffolding. How do I make them solid?Uploading…

it sounds like you have supports enabled:
58%20AM

You don’t need supports for every print. I find that I only need them if the overhang tips past 45 degrees from vertical. I try to avoid them when possible because it messes with the surface finish.

No supports. It is the whole print. Like when printing a solid guitar pick it doesn’t fill it al in. Basically looks like a spiderweb.! This was supposed to be a tube. image|374x500

When you upload an image, it should show up in the preview. Not sure why it’s not working for you. Make sure you don’t mess with the text it inserts after you use the ‘Upload’ button.

Without a picture, I’m still guessing. Maybe you’re talking about the infill? That should be covered by the top and bottom layers. Depending on the color, you can sometimes make out the infill through the cover though.

I’m not aware of any way to print 100% solid without using infill. Even if there was an option, you probably wouldn’t want to use it. I believe some of the rigidity comes from the honeycomb structure, and printing solid would be less rigid. If you’re printing a guitar pick, you want a certain amount of flex. You might want to play with the top and bottom thickness and the amount of infill to get the amount of flex you like.

Now that I said that, if you’re printing something short, you might be able to get 100% solid by increasing the top and bottom thickness. If you customize the print settings, you can set those values.
49%20PM

Just set the top and bottom thickness to be more than half the height of the pick, and it should be solid. It seems to work for a 5mm tall print I just tested.

Here is a picture of what was supposed to be a tube.

Was that the orientation it was printed? Which model did you print?

That does not look right at all. I’ve gotten something that kind of looks like that when a print has a lot of support structures, but it’s only on the supports.

How long have you had your snapmaker and filament? I’ve heard that humidity can cause the filament to absorb water and print poorly, but even the worst cases were mostly functional. To me, that looks more like a filament feed issue. Like it’s just not spitting out molten plastic when it’s supposed to.

It has done hay with everything. The machine is brand new. I ordered some different Filament to see if that is the problem.

I agree with clewis that it seems to be a filament feed issue or maybe the temperature is not high enough to properly melt the filament.

Posting the link for a 3d model that failed might help us rule out model+slicing issues.

Thanks! I am going to try cleaning the nozzle and new Filomena. I have tried several models and just used the preset settings on the Snapmaker software. I tried high quality, normal, and fast. The only thing I changed was the initial temp for better bed adhesion. Nozzle temp was 200/198 I believe.

quick question, before each print the printer “primes” the filament by extruding quite some “mm” outside the bed. Does this priming works for you?

You should get a very smooth extrusion of a string (as it prints in the air).

Oh! Good idea @rgiffogoes.

This is what mine looks like when it just starts printing:

(it appears that I need to dust).

1 Like

What firmware and software version are you using? JS-software 2.5.3 had issues with slicing and gcode and I have still some issues with 2.5.4, so you could try slicing with 2.5.2?

1 Like

The first print is always the hardest. Neverest makes a good point about firmware/software. If nozzle cleaning and filament changing don’t help it will be the next thing to try.

Just curious, are you using PLA plastic filament?