Printing crumbs?

Sorry if this is being too lazy, but I’ve been trying to figure out how to avoid this for days now and i just can’t seem to get it.

When I print, especially petg, i usually get really nice quality, except for the first couple of layers which I am still working on, but sometimes my prints start getting all these plastic crumbs all over the place and it makes a mess of my print.

I thought perhaps it was over extrusion but I have the flow rate down and its not really any different.

Any tips?

Give us more information, please.

Did you calibrate your extruder, linear advance, printed a temp tower, printed a retraction test?
What Slicer do you use, maybe you share your gcode?

So many questions :wink:
I guess you are printing too hot.

1 Like

I did do the extruder calibration, ill do a temperature tower now.

However, suddenly my issues have changed drastically…

I am just like what the heck is going on right now, yesterday i printed this planetary gear which is nearly perfect (and functional, with one rough spot i am trying to work out) and now its just spitting out garbage that wont stick and junk everywhere…

someone shared with me a link to a site for all these tests and calibrations so i’ll play with that first…

I was going to replace nozzles but cant find them, so i put in a new hotend for now, and its just plain awful right now!

You may have already checked for a clog, but I get suspicious of a partial clog anytime things suddenly take a turn for the worse. Try a cold pull

1 Like

Also its petg witch can be annoyingly difficult… if it won’t stick, check your z offset again, unlike PLA, if you print to close to the bed with PETG it will wrap up around your nozel.

Ohh, yeah that was happening sometimes and i was fiddling with that z offset.

BTW during calibrations I got a set of stainless feeler gauges and have been using .01mm to set the height of the nozzle as opposed to the little plastic, from there sometimes i leave it at 0 or sometimes i move it up .1

1 Like

Can someone please tell me - is it OK to insert linear acceleration g-code in the pre print gcode section or do I have to terminal n and flash it to the hardware with the save command
M900 K0.06 looks nice

Your answer, specifically: yes. You don’t have to M500 it.

More generally - all the EEPROM does is when the machine boots it essentially just issues all of the commands listed in an M503, with M900 being one of them. You can override any of those through the terminal and if you don’t M500 the next power cycle or M501 they will be forgotten.

1 Like

Oh my!

I can’t believe how big of an impact this had!

This needs to be standard operating procedure in the manual!!!

3 Likes