Printing PETG help

Hi,
I’m printing PETG for the first time and can’t seem to get the settings right. I’ve printed with PLA plenty previously. I’ve attached my settings. When I try to print, the first layer is very uneven and there are random bumps and stringing. I’ve printed a temperature tower before and 250 nozzle temp looks the cleanest. I used gluestick to layer the bed prior to printing. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

temp

Thanks!

Infill and travel is really fast for PETG. Try 30 tops for everything except travel at 80.
(maybe even slower, but start there)
Also if you change your first layer height to .4 it will be more forgiving.
Can’t tell if you’re a little close from that picture.

Sometimes PETG doesn’t look great on first layer but turns out fine. Yours does look worse than it should though.

Lastly, might want to try lowering temp 5º to decrease stringing. With PETG it’s a fine line between stringing and not adhering.

-S

-S

I print PETG at 235 for the first layer and 231 thereafter. Bed temp of 73.
You are printing pretty fast as mentioned. Speed up you retraction to 35 with a distance of 4.5mm so it doesn’t ooze.
I use hairspray evened out with a little squeegee for adhesion. It does also look a little mushed. Play around with the z offset at the beginning of the print. Raise it in .05 increments. Should need no more than one or two taps to get it where you want it.

Every brand’s PETG and even color is different. Need to run a temp tower.
-S

Dang. I just saw his linitial ayer height of .20mm. That’s a lot of filament he is pumping through that thing at those speeds. So yea, he may need that extra heat. Everything I print is .05 or .1 at 20-30 mm speeds. I have tight tolerance requirements.

Thanks for all the tips! I adjusted the settings. I also think one of the main issues was the nozzle was too close to the bed. It seems PETG needs more allowance between the nozzle and the bed than I’m used to. In the picture you can see the difference as I adjusted the z offset up.

Here’s my updated settings for whoever’s interested.
Screenshot 2021-01-10 145422

4 Likes