Print speed maximum

Does anyone know what is the max print speed of the Snapmaker?

2 Likes

remember the fast the speed the lower the quality

Doug

2 Likes

So the firmware wonā€™t let you move faster than 300mm/s, thatā€™s rapid or print speed. The stepper motors wonā€™t move anywhere that fast as David states and as I have confirmed with experiments. 150mm/s is on the borderline and I have chosen not to go over 100mm/s. I donā€™t know what the practical speed limit of the extruded (print head) is. It might be a fun exercise to do a print test part that compares print speeds. The extruded speed is calculated for each move it makes to produce the thickness and width requested which will have to vary based on the speed it is moving. I personally have printed at 60mm/s. It would be nice to know the limits. ā€œA man has got to know his limitationsā€ (name that movie quote) :wink:

2 Likes

Are you feeling lucky!

2 Likes

Thanks everybody for your help.
Case closed.

In simplify3D, my parameters are :

• Default Printing Speed : 50,00 mm/s
  • X/Y Axis Movement Speed : 80, 00 mm/s
  • Z Axis Movement Speed : 16,7 mm/s

I wonder if I can increase a little more speed ?

2 Likes

You can always experiment. You may need to muck around with your extrusion settings. I assume that Simplify3D will automatically adjust the flow rate with an increase in extrusion speed, but it may need a little help in the Extruder tab.

FWIW, I run 40mm/s extrusion for PETG and Iā€™m happy with the results Iā€™ve been getting.

1 Like

ok nice !
Iā€™ve not yet printed with PETG, but soon.

Only with PLA and the one and last one time with ABS

So I just did my 3rd print with the A250 with PLA. I had it at 90mm/s and bumped it 200%. I even went 250% for about 5 minutes but I started to worry since I donā€™t know what the top speed is. Itā€™s been essentially running at 180mm/s for about 5 hours and I havenā€™t had any issues yetā€¦ print quality is actually still very impressive but Iā€™m worried now that I might have pushed it since Iā€™m still new with 3D printing. Nevertheless, the heat coming off any of the parts after a 5 hour print is barely noticeable.

I would think that the OEM would generally put safety limits inherently so the machine doesnā€™t get damaged, after all this supposed to be a robust design. If anyone knows OEM spec on this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
AG

2 Likes

A M503 command will list what the maximum speed is for each axis. Youā€™re likely already running into those limits unless youā€™ve changed them which you can do. The M201 line in the M503 report lists the maximum speeds currently set. The speed override wonā€™t let you exceed those limits.
If you search the forum youā€™ll fine a post where I talked more about it.

5 Likes

Thanks so much Tone. Iā€™ve read a few more of your posts and your sharing of knowledge is much appreciated.

All the best!

-AG

4 Likes

Funny thing about this thread is that it is 2 years old and nobody has answered the OPs question. Not even with an IDK. Which would be the correct answer because it would seem that no one here knows the answer. Is it that scary to admit that you have absolutely no idea what the answer to the question is?
Here, Iā€™ll start. I donā€™t know what the maximum speed of this machine is. If you find the answer will you please share it here with the rest of us? Many, if not all, of us would love to know this fact about the machine we own.
Thank You.
John

1 Like

The theoretical print speed for the Snapmaker Original is 120mm/s. You would lose steps at high speeds though. You would lose steps even at 80mm/s. The high print speed that weā€™ve tried that worked was 60mm/s just for reference.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not an easy question to answer because itā€™s, surprisingly, a very broad questionā€¦ Tone, and more recently JKC20, gave the best answers. I am now curious what speeds the SM2 can reach and maintain accuracy. I have messed around with the speeds enough on the SM2 to know this: The sounds it makes scared me into slowing it down from top speed.

Use the marlin g-code commands for ā€œliteralā€ answers, but as tone points out, the useable speeds will be less, and also dependent on what you are printing, extrusion levels, layer thickness, etc.

M503 command will give the ā€œliteral limitsā€ of any printer that uses Marlin gcodes.
For your perusal : https://marlinfw.org/meta/gcode/

Just for curiosity I pulled the M503 and I got the speeds for the A350:
X150mm/s Y150mm/s Z50mm/s E25mm/s
so these are the ā€œliteralā€ top speeds for the SM2, I believe.

5 Likes

Hi @NilartPax
Does this mean the printer will not go faster, even if you tell it to in gcode?
Because my snapmaker 2 A350 has just arrived last week and it basic speed was 140mm/s (for the laser) in Luban. That was to slow so I bumped it to 200% on the snapmaker screen which made it visibly go faster. I assumed at 280 mm/s. On my next laser test I rounded that, and set it default to 300mm/s in Luban. But it still took a long time to laser something basic so in my first real job I bumped up the laser to 50% (from 30% earlier) and set the working speed to 500mm/s, assuming it would work faster. It seems like it went even faster, but now Iā€™m wondering if this was just my immagination and is it actually printing at that 150mm/s speed you say? Because my snapmaker screen also displayed 499mm/s while working. Is it bad to set such a high working speed or will the printer just cap it at itā€™s maximum speed. The result looked perfect by the way at that 500mm/s speed (real or not), so I ussume no ā€œsteps were missedā€ as I read can happen at high speeds. Still took 1.5 hours to complete.

Can somebody with experience (you or @Tone maybe) enlighten me?
Thanks a lot.

Also command M503 just returns ā€œOKā€ when I send it, no actual values come back (over wifi)

EDIT:
The default ā€œJog speedā€ for the laser is 3000mm/s in Luban.
So I assume that is the maximum speed the modules can travel?
Am I right to say that this could also theoretically be the maximum laser speed?
That would mean my 500mm/s is indeed the actual travel speed and I could possibly even bump that working speed higher if I set the laser to a higher percentage as well? I see the issue with fast travel in 3D printing, but I assume thatā€™s not valid for laser work?

You have to connect with the USB cable to see the reply of the M503 command.
Iā€™m not sure but I think the limits stored in the controller will limit any other value above these settings.

PS: When you are connected also perform extruder calibration.

1 Like

As mentioned, you need to connect via USB to get the readouts.

The Marlin 503 lists the highest possible speeds theachine will go. However, Is it possible that there are different limits depending on the module head? I donā€™t know the answer to that. I am in heavy 3d printing still for covid PPE (2 headbands at once), for like the last 6 months and now schools are in the mix, thank God I have filament donor.
What Iā€™m getting at is, if you could tell us the return from the Marlin 503 command with the laser attached weā€™d know the ā€œspeed limitā€. I imagine itā€™s the same as with the print head attached.

Do you know if the response that comes back is the actual maximum speed, or the one that the firmware responds?

Iā€™ve seen a few posts where there is discussion around updating various settings and writing those back to firmware which in return reports those new values.

Okay, I see what you are saying. If the speed anjuster will overwrite this speed limit. I hope the answer is, no. With 3d printing I am pretty sure it gets to max and doesnā€™t go any faster even if the screen says so, but I havenā€™t actually tested this. I donā€™t know why youā€™d want to even attempt max speed, tbh. These number are in the firmware to protect the equipment. Itā€™s like you can put a jet engine on a car, but itā€™s not a good idea, and you are responsible for the fallout at that point.
@Edwin Is this an issue? Does the % speedup slider on the UI override the Marlin max speeds, or stop at the max?

Itā€™s been a while, but this is the result of the M503 command when connected through USB cable.

• The laser module is currently mounted.
  • Firmware 1.10.1.
  • Luban 3.10.2

Iā€™m not sure how to read these valueā€™s but I wanted to follow up this thread for those who care.
M503

1 Like