Print Fail--won't stick to bed

I’m attempting to 3D print a game piece that is 2 inch tall (51mm) and .75 inch diameter at the bottom (19 mm). It fails on every attempt. I tried adding a raft and even pausing the print and taping the raft to the bed (the piece just pulls loose from the raft). It gets about 2/3 the way up then becoming detached from the bed and results in a stringy mess. I have a video but this forum won’t let me upload it. Is it just too tall and skinny to print? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Share your Model and your settings or gcode.

I guess you need to print those tiny objects slower and set the z-offset tighter to not rock it off the bed.

Here’s what I’m trying to print.

Settings:

Thanks for your reply. The bottom has a 5mm hole (for a tiny magnet) but is otherwise solid. I tried removing the hole to increase surface area but had the same result. I don’t think flipping it over would help because the top has even less surface area than the bottom. I’m just thinking that the push and pull of the layers being placed on the top are to much leverage for the bottom adhesion to handle. Ironically I’ve printed a gang of 4 pieces at one time (only slightly different) without this problem but too much stringing between the pieces so I’m trying to print one at a time. Did I mention I’m a novice at this?

I would suggest bumping your initial print temp to 210. I find that helps stick the first layer better. Also, I would recommend printing on painters tape. Below is the tape I use. I haven’t had any adhesion issues since. Just be mindful to adjust your z offset by about 0.1mmm.

That’s fine, to each their own. I think its a personal preference more than anything. I don’t like using glue, and I have had issues with filaments sticking too much directly to the bed. The painters tape works well for me, and I have no bed or part clean up afterwards. Whatever works man.

1 Like

tallest I have printed id 4.5 " tall, a few observations:

1. If the bottom of the model warps then the nozzle can start banging against previous layers infill over that section where the base is warped - I could envisage this knocking a model of its footings (haven’t see it myself)

2. for PLA (are you using that?) i get awesome adhesion at much lower bed and nozzle temps (like really a lot lower - i can get superb adhesion on the stock bed for things like benchy, cubes etc, down at 45c inital layer as an example, though this is causing me warp - see point 1). I think you should follow @WilliamBosacker advice and possibly recalibrate the nozzle, the paper they give you (hold it just like they show in the book) should have some friction but not should still slide when you push it holding between finger and thumb - do not place paper fully flat and slide with two fingers or you risk nozzle being too close.

1 Like

I have had the same problem. I have tried hairspray and glue stick (with limited success) but for really good sticking, cover the base plate with painters tape (blue external type) then spray Copydex or similar carpet adhesive on the tape. The reason for this is that it does too good a job and you may have to unpeel the printed item along with the tape, then detach the tape from the underside of your printed piece. It really does work!

I have had the opposite results. I often have to use Ice Cubes with water either in the Model, or over the back side of base to release it. Even doing such is hard. Make sure there is no Release agent, Wax, Oil, Soap, or other Residue like Powder on the table before starting. I would like to have half of what you are dealing with. :slight_smile:

Two things about that, first - are you using snapmaker brand filament, perhaps that came with the machine? The PLA in the box with the machine is infamous for this.

Also, maybe try to up your z offset up some, it might help you.

Personally, I use Magigoo which is the best of both worlds, helps with adhesion then acts as a release agent. Many other brands have similar products, but it my personal favorite by far.

Many people use various stuff to help with this, ultimately ideally you dont need anything, but tuning things in to such a degree for every material can be some effort and not necessarily worth the effort when a quick fix exists. Painters tape is a popular choice for many users. I havent actually tried using it personally, but it may be a good fit for you. Everyone finds what works best for them eventually :slight_smile: