Power Supply Making Strange Noises

Newest in my long line of issues. Recently, my Snapmaker power supply has started making very disturbing noises. For backgrounds, my unit is in a climate controlled room, well ventilated and low humidity. There have been no power surges as the unit is plugged into surge protector.

I have tried turning it off for extended periods of time, visually inspecting the vents for blockage, dust, dirt. and made sure the unit and area are clear of dust with canned air. I have relocated it, tried setting it on its side and disconnected and reconnected all cables.

Sounds like one of the two fans is bad/going bad to me. which is awful sounding in your case. alot of people complain about the power supply being noisy but thats just crazy bad lol

The outer one is pretty easy to get to, the other one isnt too bad either, but not as easy.

I think they are different sizes, so that makes it kind of annoying.

If youd like there is a thread on the power supply’s fans (being noisy in general) with all kinds of people’s solutions, from a swap out to re-engineering it and everything in between

actually theres lot of them, here are a couple

SM2 power module noise - Snapmaker 2.0 - Snapmaker: where creation happens

FYI: Snapmaker 2 & Enclosure Fan Information plus alternatives - Snapmaker 2.0 - Snapmaker: where creation happens

2 Likes

@MooseJuice definitely a fan. Tried to find my video when mine did the same thing, but mine was worse. The fan bearing blew apart.

Thanks, all. Replacing is a fan IS within my comfort level. Are there any warranty issues you know of I should check before doing so?

If its under warranty you can email support@snapmaker.com and ask them to replace it first if you want. They might not be in a hurry to reply to you, so its up to you if you want to play that game. Personally I’d rather a client replace a 2 dollar fan then send a power supply with fans, a monitoring board to pulse out when the power is out for the power loss recovery system, a breathing LED in a nice anodized aluminum case for free.

Assuming you damage the power supply somehow, you can also put your own in there. Its just a meanwell knockoff and pretty standard. So what they don’t know wont hurt them IMO. If you really screw something up like reverse polarity on the voltage to the main controller or something, thats when the warranty might become problematic :joy: She is a DC power supply, and I don’t know if it has any auto shutdowns built in like a nice switching power supply would. I can confirm fan polarity wont hurt anything but won’t work right at least until rectified.

Still under warranty according the Snapmaker documentation. Dropped them a line with the details and hoping they choose to fulfill their warranty. While replacing the fan doesn’t sound too bad based on the links you sent, it really feels like they shouldn’t fail just 2 months in. :frowning:

@Mystech this same exact issue JUST happened to me as well. As soon as I updated to the latest firmware 1.13.1, the fan started to go at light speed and made the same noise as yours! This has to be software related as this has never happened to me before… the fan speed is far too high as soon as the machine is powered on.

Edit (7/25/21 2:57AM EDT): I just left the machine off for a few minutes, power cycled it and the high fan speed/disturbing noise went away for me… I didn’t do anything, it just went away

@NVNickyV its not software related. The fans are crap quality and are known to fail. Yours was coincidental.

1 Like