Position Manager tool (mostly meant for CNC)

I’d like to share a tool I’ve made and been using for some time now; I called it “Marlin Position Manager”. In short, it allows you to store and recall printer positions. As the name implies, it’s compatible with Marlin printers.

mpm

What it does is pretty much explained in this diagram:

The positions that are stored are persisted (saved in an XML file in the folder where the .exe resides).

Update: source and binaries available on GitHub: GitHub - PolymerPrints/MarlinPositionManager: Store & recall positions for your Marlin-based printer/cnc/laser

7 Likes

Looks really interesting. This could also be useful for repeating laser jobs where you’ve built a jig to hold material (cork coasters in my case).

1 Like

How/where does it get installed and executed?

It’s a standalone application, so you should be able to extract it to a folder of your choice and start it from there. If that doesn’t work please let me know.

I don’t want to sound too stupid, but here goes.

Loaded my G-code file from USB stick to Snapmaker controller.
Loaded Position Manager on my computer.

Since there isn’t any connection between these machines I don’t see how the PM knows where the CNC head is.

1 Like

Very good point actually, I completely forgot to mention that it relies on a serial connection set up on the left side of the tool. You’ll have to connect your computer to your Snapmaker via USB.

I’d love to add support for WiFi as well, but the lack of API documentation from Snapmaker makes it a hassle.

H Mayco.

I am interested in the source code. If you get a chance, please post it.

1 Like

Good news, the source is now available: GitHub - PolymerPrints/MarlinPositionManager: Store & recall positions for your Marlin-based printer/cnc/laser

Thank you!

From “Mayco via Snapmaker where creation happens” <notifications@snapmaker.discoursemail.com>
To chrisvn@laterallogix.co.za
Date 28/11/2022 22:08:31
Subject [Snapmaker: where creation happens] [Snapmaker Showcase] Position Manager tool (mostly meant for CNC)

logo.png

1 Like

Thanks for the additional info

1 Like