Please help, I don’t understand what setting I need to adjust

My prints keep coming out look like this (see attached)

I have been trying different settings like setting the infill to 100% and adjusting layer heights

They have made some what of a difference, but still the same “Swiss cheese” structure

I have tried turning the nozzle temperature up to 250 degrees and lowering the work speed to 75% which seem to have minimal effect too

Initially layer looks fine, but it’s the rest of the print that looks like this……

…please help

What filament type is it?
Have you dried the filament?
What machine do you have?
Is the photo you shared showing the bottom layer or the top layer?

Thank you for the reply…

Filament is black PLA…I have not done anything to the filament other than take it out of the box and load it into the printer

Machine / printer is a Snapmaker 350 all as it came from the factory, no aftermarket addons or modifications.

The photo is not showing the bottom layer, its showing the print from the top

i don’t know if its relevant but the brand of the PLA is called “Spectrum” (Spectrum filaments)

250 is way too hot for PLA. Shouldn’t need to be anywhere above 250 and generally around 205.
What does the roll say on it?

Share a photo of your first layer so we can see how that’s going down.

Have you calibrated your extruder/e-steps? Summary: Extruder calibration a must

-S

I was just going to say the same as @sdj544. The photo of the top layer looks like the filament is MUCH too hot, causing it to collapse and ooze a lot. Most PLA is in the 190-200c range. I would first start by dehydrating the filament just to be sure there is no moisture in it. You can put it in your household oven at 135F for about 1hr and that should do it. Then I would try a print using all default settings and see how that comes out.
Can you share what your other slicer settings are? Specifically…
Layer Height
Print Speed
Bed Temp

And yes, more photos of the rest of the failed print for comparison would be helpful.

I don’t think your first layer is good either. There are some spots on the right that I can see through.

Too me, it looks both too hot and under extruded. And it looks consistently under extruded. In the upper left and lower right you can see through the top layer to lower layers, and the line width is fairly consistent in both layers.

Okay I have no idea what I did exactly, but after tweaking with the settings for pretty much whole day, I finally got some acceptable results.

Side note: it should not be this difficult to use, especially right out of the box and for a total newbie like me.

I even had to go in and enable advanced settings to get it to make these results.

It seriously should not be this difficult or complicated to get to print right.

Anyway; I’m going to start with my bigger projects now (which apparently takes 4 days to print) and see how they turn out.

Thank you for the help everyone

A bit silly you only allow one picture per post on here

Anyway, not perfection but acceptable and useable at least

Thank you again to all of you who pitched in and shared your thoughts on the matter :+1:

Update:

About 6% into the print…

Does this look right?

At 6% it might be too early to tell, but I am suspecting it’s still doing this thing where it just adds a random blob of PLA instead of printing in a continuous pattern…

What do you guys think?

At 7% now……it looks like it’s still doing its random blob thing rather than make a continuous print…

I’m gonna stop it for now until I find out what’s wrong

Is it possible to do a complete factory reset of this thing….both printer and Lurban?..…like completely brainwash them both back to factory settings?

I think it looks great! =)

Could be some underextrusion going on because of a partially blocked nozzle…
Or maybe not…

You could try:

• Clearing the nozzle with an acupuncture needle.
  • Try a few cold pulls.
  • Investigate blockage in the feeder mechanism…
  • Change the nozzle completely.

Is the material sticking to the buildplate ok? Maybe you need to lower the layer height…
Make sure that its not a bad buildplate by using masking tape on it and see if quality increases…
If you have another roll of material, try changing if you haven’t done hat already…
Happy 3dprinting!

I would say that looks terrible. It’s definitely not right. I wouldn’t waste 4 days on a big print when that is what you are already getting.

Yes, it is possible to reset both the machine and Luban. (And you can actually attach multiple photos to a post…)

In Luban Workspace, connect to your machine, go to Macros on the right side, and hit the play button on this “M502&M500” command. That will reset the machine’s firmware. It will also erase your bed level calibration, so you will need to do that again.

To reset print and material settings in Luban, go to the 3D Print slicing page, mouse over the setting you want to reset and a “3-dot” bubble will appear, click on it and it should show “Reset.” The reset option will only appear if the settings have actually been changed from default. It is the same process for resetting the material settings

Thank you very much for the reply,

I’ll give this a try and see what happens afterwards, of course I understand I have to do all the calibrations again (that’s to be expected when you reset everything).

Sadly I lost a whole days of work yesterday trying to figure this thing out, so I am a bit behind today, so I won’t have time to look at it today, but I will have another go at it either this weekend or monday.

Thank you again

1 Like

Alright ladies and gentlemen,

It’s time for an update…

So after searching around like an idiot over the weekend, I found that a common problem on a lot of 3D printers (not just Snapmaker) is that the extruder and linear advance often are completely FUBAR in their calibrated parameters from the factory.

One of you did suggest recalibrating the extruder (so credit where credit is due for that)

However I didn’t really find any clear guides as in “how to” recalibrate the parameters for these.

So I will include the links to the guides I found helpful:

Here’s a link to write up guides that are straightforward and clearly written:

https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html#intro

In this YouTube video, the guy shows how he did the different steps: How To Improve Your 3D Prints on the Snapmaker - YouTube

Lastly I will include a picture of a 5x5 cm test print I did, so you can see the results after the calibration, note this was printed of the “fast print” setting in Lurban:

However I don’t want to close this thread yet, I want to update this once I have tried a large print and report the results here.

Thank you again to everyone who has helped so far.

1 Like

As you can also see, now it’s actually creating a grid inside and not the random blob thing it did before

1 Like

Okay I am trying a lager print now and here are the results (“fast print” mode”)

As you can clearly see it’s printing a lot more consistently now, while not perfect, it looks good enough for what I need.

1 Like