Pause power off power on resume?

I understood over the last week that the correct way to suspend a print overnight is to use the pause option and then power off. In the morning i would power on which would then display the recovery option.

This morning no such prompt has been displayed meaning that I cant finish my print.

Is there a method of finishing the incomplete print or have I misunderstood?

1 Like

I would like the answer too! I just asked at Snapmaker support but didnā€™t receive a good oneā€¦

For power loss recovery you need to pull out the plug of the power-socket.
I never heard about people who pause the print first, so maybe here is the problem and or the feature doesnĀ“t work this way.

Anyway, which firmware do you use? There was a corrupted one where the feature was broken.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got all the lasts firmware and luban version. On the manual on the site you can read that you can pause a print on the touchscreen and then you can pull the power down. After putting it on you could have a resume option. I didnā€™t use that way yet

As I said in the earlier, in general it seems to work as expected

a graceful shutdown

BUT not always !

there seems to be many posts along similar lines.

A bit off topic, but thats not exactly the only issue with the recovery - it does appear to be a bit inconsistent in its evocation from reading posts, although i personally did not encounter a situationi for it (i am going out of my way to avoid that and frankly just think of it as a fingers crossed this scenario works if i need to to)

but its also got some functional problems too reading through forum posts about cnc bits ramming through their boards and so forth.

I think its fair to say that the firmware should be returning to home position after a power recovery or pause state, as it does in a filament runout, and then return to where it belongs once instructed to proceed.

I think it doesnt because of 3DP, and ill explain that in a moment

I think this is an oversight, not a misuse of the machine issue. Snapmaker needs to hear more complaints about it so they fix it.

Itā€™s easy to fix and should be that way in the first place.

Now, why doesnt it? because power failure was causing nozzles to get stuck in the printed part, so they instead intentionally kept the nozzle there to heat up before resuming so if it was fused to the nozzle it wouldnt rip your part off the bed. specifically the nozzle heats to 200 degrees if i recall. regardless of what the temperature you were running at was.

I think the best solution is to do just that on 3DP, let the nozzle warm up before returning home, probably saying ā€œnozzle heating please waitā€ and otherwise (CNC or Laser), return home, and not let you resume until it does so. This way it can home itself properly and be aware of its positioning.

Should you shift the position when the power was off in any way, it wouldnā€™t know that movement was done. thus, rehome itself prior to allowing the project to resume in all cases - power loss, paused job, filament runout.

I think in their efforts to address one issue they caused another, but the above logic applied should be a solution. the firmware history notes explain the nozzle warmup delay, which was an after thought, so these types of things happen when trying to make on the fly improvements.

of course, someone will then complain it takes 3 minutes before the machine lets you resume if you are 3d printing without knowing why its that way, but sometimes you just gota make a stand and say thats for the best.