Resuming prints

I know this question has probably been asked a couple dozen times but I found no recent relevant post - so what happened last night was, I had a print running which took 24h for whatever reason, when I went to bed it had 7h left on the clock - “perfect will be done when I wake up”.

But then… My virus protection software thought - hey would a shame if someone would auto-restart your pc right now to update, right - oh well here we go…

So when I woke up, the printer was just standing still, print not much further than before I went to sleep - opened luban “do you want to resume the previous print?” - “uhh yeah, pls!”

But all that does is to load the last used model back into the 3D panel but no option to actually resume the print as the workspace is empty.

Now it’s one thing that I have to redo the entire print and can throw 17h of work away - the other thing is: the printer was still on this morning - the nozzle was 210 deg the heated bed 60…
Like that’s pretty unsafe and also harmful for the nozzle I’d say.

The printer should realize “I haven’t gotten a single command in the last 15 min imma shut down”
Plus: Luban really needs to be able to resume prints if something like this happens - is there no way to save the current line of the gcode command (line number or smth) to a cache file every time a new command is started, so that if anything happens, luban knows where it stopped?

Hey @Dinkelborg !
Yes this was asked a dozen times. No it is not possible with Luban.

The point is (and this is with every 3d printer) don´t print over serial connection because if your pc go to sleep your print is ruined.
The features of Snapmaker 2.0 like filament runout and power-loss recovery only work if you print from the touchscreen.

Now, to rescue your print, you need to measure the exact height of the model in 10th of mm and then edit the previously printed gcode to get the machine to continue.

I would help you to edit the code. If you wish, share the gcode and z-axis height with me.

Thanks for the offer but I cleaned the bed already and restarted the print from scratch

I know that the machine can recover from powerloss but I just don’t get why it shouldn’t be possible for the printing software to do the same.
The machine and PC are in constant exchange about status and commands - if the software is closed mid-print for whatever reason, why is it not able to store that point?

I’m a developer myself so I know that it’s definitely possible to run code before an application quits. If I would be working on luban, I’d first off make it store each gcode file from the current session into a temp folder so that if the software is closed and later reopened you can actually restore the workspace, not just the 3D arrangement view

And secondly, when the software is closed and a print is still active, send a command to the printer to pause (so it will turn off nozzle and bed) and write the current command Nr into a json in same temp folder

This way when the app is reopened, and the user selects to continue the previous print you can load the last gcode file(s) and start back at the command Nr you left off

Also your house won’t burn down in your sleep… Just saying

You are absolutely right.
Luban and the Controller FW are open Source, feel free to contribute :wink:

PS. I am no snapmaker Staff, only a user like you.