Original Vs. 2.0?

What are some of the main differences between the Original and the 2.0? I know the Original is relatively small, but what else should I take into consideration when considering the two

Thank You

I noticed on facebook and this forum a lot of technical problems with 2.0. Most are probably solved now. There is more active support for 2.0 then for the original: no more firmware updates and software improvements for the original since a long time. Technically 2.0 is more advanced. I am happy with the original because I never need to print large parts.

Thank you for you feed back

The main reason to go with the 2.0 is the modular design and the future toolheads/addons.
Support of the original is running out, even the community is not that strong like at 2.0.

The Snapmaker Original and the Snapmaker2 A150 are of similar size and general construction (the A150 is a bit bigger, I believe). The A250 and A350 have larger build volumes, but suffer from occasional problems with paired linear modules getting misaligned that canā€™t exist for the smaller machines.

The Original ships with a weaker laser head than the 2 (although you can purchase an additional stronger laser module).

I donā€™t think the Original does wireless.

Plus what the others have already said.

If youā€™re looking to buy, Iā€™d say go for one of the Snapmaker2 models unless you get an extremely good price on the Original and it comes with the additional laser head.

You guys can read the specs sheet via these links:
https://snapmaker.com/product/snapmaker-2/specs
https://snapmaker.com/product/snapmaker-original/specs

Iā€™m going to second the recommendation of a 2.0, and likely the A150. The Original is NOT being supported anymore (which is disappointing me greatly, since thereā€™s still a bug in the firmware for Original that I run into sometimes), and the CNC heads are very far apart, features-wise.
(in particular, the 2.0 CNC head has an ER11 collet, which allows you to use a wide range of tool sizes, while the Original only allows 3mm diameter bits)

1 Like

As a v1 owner, I do like the bed. After the first (manual) calibration, it just prints. I havenā€™t had to mess with manually creating a 7x7 calibration grid, nor excel spreadsheets. It did take me a little while to dial in the proper Z height offset for the first layer, but I think thatā€™s universal to FDM.

The lack of firmware updates (and open source firmware) is a bit annoying. I would like to get the G2/G3 and pause features as well. Pause in particular since the v1 doesnā€™t have filament runout detection.

Loading the filament in the v1 is harder. Itā€™s a manual process, and takes some forearm strength and practice. Iā€™ve gotten a lot of practice, because my current spool of filament seems to get brittle very quickly.

I think the original wins in the ā€œjust worksā€ category. But it is small, and Iā€™ve had to either scale down models or break them up into multiple prints more than once.

Iā€™ve been happy with v1 since I got it mid-2018. Iā€™m just an enthusiast though. I donā€™t print regularly or often. I think Iā€™m on my fifth 500g spool of filament. I love the precision of the prints, even if it does make for a slow/long print.

1 Like

I agree: I miss the G2/G3 and pause feature. I also miss the rotational speed control of the CNC spindle as specified at the moment I bought. (During shipment this spec changed). Snapmaker please update firmware.