OctoPi for the Snapmaker?

Depending on how you configure OctoPi, you can do the slicing on OctoPi too. However you’ll need a Raspberry Pi 3 because it is CPU intensive.

Alternatively you can use any slicer of your choice, then upload the gcode file to OctoPi. If you do use Cura, there’s a way to configure Cura to interface with the OctoPi server inside the app itself. You will need to install the OctoPi Connection plugin for Cura. I have not tried integrating other slicers with OctoPi. I normally upload the gcode files through the OctoPi web interface.

1 Like

I’m running it on a 3B, but I’ll probably do the same as you (upload G-code to the Octopi).

Wow, that’s a slick piece of software. I’m almost done with the first print through the Octopi. I love the tab where you can watch the G-code progress.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my Logitech HD USB webcam working with it.

2 Likes

I have noticed an issue with the touch screen and the Octopi, as others have. It seems if I ever touch the touchscreen, the Octopi won’t connect to the printer. I have to power cycle the printer to get it to connect.

Also, is the Octopi usable when doing CNC carving or laser engraving? I’m guessing not.

how did you set the home command? Just tried it and the printer went down the z axis instead of up… Would’ve hit the print bed

Hi Harry, what is the blue extention on your extruder module?

If enybody is interested, thats the camera mount and lightning I built for my snapmaker with OctoPi.

Snapmaker Camera Mount Adapter
Snapmaker Ikea LED Strip INREDA Mount

2 Likes

Very nice! Where did you get those LED lights?

I have octoprint working with my SM as well, and I’m currently working on a solution for a camera mount, while still allowing me to use the enclosure. I’m probably half way there… I’ll post when I get something interesting to show.

But nice work!

Feel free to modify my camera mount posted above to suit whatever camera you’re using. I use a PiCam. It fits within the enclosure even with the doors close as seen below:

However I’ve since changed my setup so now I have mine mounted to the vertical beam on the left side as shown in the photo below. I did however had to move the LCD further back because it was in the way of the camera:

1 Like

I currently use @kelvin8r design (mounted like the top picture) and really like it.

I think I used a remixed arm (available in thingiverse) and I’ve mounted some RGB strips on the inner part of 3 edges of the cube (2 top, on vert, behind the camera) and I get clear images (and some fancy RGB light show :slight_smile: )

My PI 3b sits under the bed, behind the LCD controller, and it’s powered by SnapMaker controller USB port.

2 Likes

@rgriffogoes I had my Pi the same place you have yours, but have moved it to outside of the enclosure. The Pi operating temperature was getting too warm for my liking inside the enclosure.

Wouldn’t it be cool if they built something akin to OctoPrint into their new controller???
They must have a more powerful processor in order to handle 11 connections.
They mentioned that it will have a wireless connection.
If they made it modular like OctoPrint is then users could build their own custom software modules.
Even if they added just a few features like being able to cue up multiple print jobs, being able to get a real time status remotely via text or other messaging, and being able to cancel a job gone astray.

Hint hint. @Rainie @Jade @whimsycwd

@moonglum - the LED bars actually sat on top of my PAX wardrobe for some years. It was a PAX light system from IEKA. I now have automatic light within the wardrobe and were looking for a new use for these INREDA LED bars :wink:

It looks like the print is wobbling but it’s just the camera lagging. lol

4 Likes

Hello @kelvin8r and rgriffogoes !

I’ve been looking for a while if that was possible: powering up the PI with the usb A port and connecting to the printer using the usb B port ? is that what you guys did ? no power issues on the PI ?

That would save me the cost of the power supply (i’d rather spend that money elsewhere) and, most importantly reduce the number of power suppply in my power strip :wink:

Hi, i learned that the Pi prefers a constant 5v 2a supply. I used to power the Pi the way you described. But now I use a dedicated power supply for my Pi. I now use the USB B port to power the exhaust fan on the snapmaker enclosure. It is less mission critical if the power fluctuates and I like the fact that the fan turns on when i turn on the printer.

I understand how you feel about wanting to save space on the power strip.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am currently also trying to connect my Snapmaker to Octoprint running on a Raspberry Pi 3B, currently without success. The printer is not picked up by Octoprint.

One of the screenshots at the top of this thread shows that Octoprint connects through /dev/ttyUSB0

Have you guys set that up manually or should these settings be retrieved by Octoprint somehow automatically when clicking “Connect”?

I am using a rather short USB3.0 cable by the way.

Thanks you for any advice.

Has anyone get the fillamentsensor of A350 in octoprint to work?
My machine will not stop to print when the fillament is over when i print over octoprint.

Keep alive and kicking :mask:

Snapmaker has said that filament runout detection will not function on octoprint.

Why that is or any sort of work arounds in existance i am not aware of.

That answer from Snapmaker is somewhat of a half truth.

The true part is if OctoPi is streaming gcode to the main controller the touchscreen-based filament runout automatic recovery will not work.

However, with the M119 it’s possible for OctoPi to routinely poll the status of the endstops, of which filament runout is one under the hood. It would be possible for someone to implement a plugin that pauses OctoPi based on the status of that switch changing if it is being polled regularly.

1 Like

I use my octoprint for the led light hahahaha. To much of snapmakers own stuff in these that make a lot of stuff worthless would be cool if someone with the knowledge would write a marlin version of the firmware hahah. I would test on my Snapmake 1 and A350!