New to the Process: Calibrating the Machine

I’m certainly no expert on getting beautiful prints with the SM2, but I have found that reducing speed and temperature greatly reduce stringing. 190 is generally the temp, and speed 35-45. Though even with those, I get some hiccups. Really need to get back to debugging the extrusion on my SM2 when I get the time.

190 is the bottom range of the PLA filament I’m using. I’ve been going from there to 205, which is the default SM2 setting.

untergeek recently posted a link to a retraction calibration tool. It will generate a tower with various retraction parameters in a single print. There are 3 different parameters you can change (temp, retraction speed, or fan speed), but I would recommend only changing one at a time.

I just looked at that site. I’ll have a go with that and see what I get out of it. I have a lot of ‘test’ builds, but I didn’t realize you could modify the temp and retraction rates ‘on the fly,’ as it were, inside the GCode.

What filament do you use?
I would suggest to set your retraction distance to 1mm @ 60mm/s.
Less distance prevents backed filament in the nozzle.
I would start with a temp tower.

I have read about the sm filament of the 2.0 several times, from time to time the quality is poor…

I’m using the default spool of PLA that came with the machine. I’ll definitely back off my 3mm retraction distance. As for the PLA, I got a single good print of several objects at once, but after I updated the firmware, everything went higgledy piggledy, again. I’m guessing due to the extraction error correction in the latest build, which is why I’m starting from scratch.