New Module IDEAS

I like the idea of the pencil add-on :slight_smile:

Also, not sure if I skipped a page in this thread and somebody opted this idea earlier, but I thinking of a module for only drill holes into plates up to 40 to 80mm’s thick, the CNC can’t do that I guess, what a drill machine could do… Or would that be to hard and demanding for the machine and linear modules ?

1 Like

Possibly an attachment to hold a Dremel instead of the CNC

1 Like

good idea, perhaps even a roto-zip (heavier) over a dremel…

william…

1 Like

Hi William

Whoa, you are getting too excited. The size and weight of a roto-zip i think would be too much on the existing Snapmaker carry arms. Maybe in the future, larger models of Snapmaker could have that flexibility. Still, if we look at the great simple design of Snapmaker I could envision other attachments such as vinyl cutters for cutting out decals.

Keep having fun.
Doug

2 Likes

Since it is modular … wouldn’t it be possible to make “super-heavy-duty” versions of the carry arms that plug in? More expensive, of course … but …

1 Like

I will be happy exploring Snapmaker V1 when I receive mine. I suspect many of the ideas and suggestions presented on these forums will be considered for a possible future and larger V2 model for those seeking additional capability. It is important that we don’t break the capabilities of V1 with tempting ideas.

1 Like

+1 for the calligraphy module.

2 Likes

There’s this little “heart-shaped” symbol. Push it. That’s how you +1 on this system. :wink:

2 Likes

I would but I didn’t agree with the whole post… Just part of it. :grin:

Since I was already working on a machine center, when I discovered the SnapMaker, I will be incorporating many of the SnapMaker concepts into my machine center…

To give some idea on tooling size, the design is a 3D box, where the tracks are made of used railroad rails 40"x40"x40" for 36"x36"x36" work area…

I have programmed cnc machine centers on and off since 1977, and my machine center is my first hardware design…

I fell in love with the SnapMaker on first glance, and see many features which can scale very well to my machine center design…

william…

2 Likes

How about a SLA module? (Stereo Lithography) I envision a base that has a LED display that would be able to flash a whole layer at a time. It would obviously need to be able to have the right frequency and intensity of light. A clear liquid container sits on top of the display and then the Z axis would hold the base the part is built on and raise the part up in steps. Everything is pretty simple except the development of the LED display could be tricky. (Another Kickstarter development perhaps! :wink: )

Multi head extruders? Did anyone say that already? Should potentially be able to implement without modifying the existing platform just make a new module. One with 2 or even 4 would be amazing!

https://reprapchampion.com/products/reprap-3d-printer-dual-input-dual-nozzle-bowden-extruder-hotend-0-4mm-1-75mm?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=7588790275&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmITRBRCSARIsAEOZmr5OVewXIemITy5bYZl868q0O35MnUJsoNoUMcqu1xTWSR9f_oRyIaQaAiSlEALw_wcB

17 Likes

I’d like some sort of a vacuum table to hold work in place when C&C cutting so you can cut right through he material - rather than just using it as an engraver.

3 Likes

actually, the power level of the snapmaker is way too low…

also, the platform stability is nowhere near enough for such a task…

most free space stintering machines, and multi-laser crystallization machines have a 1/2 ton (or greater) base for stability alone, and must provide 1-2 KW (again, or greater) for the power head…

i also want more module functions, but they must fit within the platform’s physical limitations…
william…

I see your point, william, but I also know that advances in technology create innovation in technique which often feed to more advances.

There was a time that a laser suitable for marking metal was $100k and the size of a car. Then it came down to $35k and was the size of a coffin (small coffin at that). But it still required a decent water-circulation-based chiller. Next up $5k and no longer needs a water-based chiller.

If there were a vacuum base, it could replace the adhesive base and perhaps be less likely to require replacement. At the very least I bet someone would find a way to use the vaccum to their advantage on some projects.

If a vacuum base had been available as an option during launch for about the same price as any other module, I’d have likely bought one just because I know how creative my team can be in that room.

More tools = cooler crap out the other end. IMHO.

1 Like

All innovation has a start point… and we are there. I wonder what Snapmaker will look like two years from now. No doubt suggestions on the forum will all go into the development melting pot to cast future models.

Doug

2 Likes

You must be thinking of something else. SLA like this one: https://formlabs.com/

i will admit, i am far from an expert in 3d print systems…

but from what i have worked with, liquid and powder based stintering and crystallization systems require extremely stable platforms, more stable the smaller the focus…

snapmaker lives in the 0.001" world, and does not work with ultra fine particles…

i was hoping to do some “free air” stintering with the snapmaker myself, but came to realize with further study, it just is not a fit…

there are many more things the snapmaker can do, and most likely will do so with all the interest i’ve witnessed here…

but physics does matter, and snapmaker is not a cast iron monster required to do molecular level processes…

william…

3 Likes

Someone has put together a 5 fillament extruder head which can be used to print in full color cmyk+w

Make for a nice, if bulky, module

8 Likes

Perfect! Now what will it take to adapt it to Snapmaker?