I would like to see a scanner module

Hi All

At some point in the future developments I would like to see a Scanner module that integrates with the Snapmaker. I am sure many members would appreciate dropping an existing object on the bed plate, scanning it then printing a replica. Snapmaker can become a replicator (just like the ones on Star Trek :rofl::joy::rofl:)

Keep having fun

Doug

2 Likes

You can already do it with 2 picture on fusion 360 :slight_smile:OK. it takes a little of work but works great.
there is some tutorials where they take 2 picture (front and side) and create the boject using actual photo taken by a phone.
Just an idea.

1 Like

Nonsense, but things like this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:740357 can help.

1 Like

Thanks all, I am not interested in a amateur home built solution; am looking for an integrated professional solution.

I feel like the Ciclop is going to be a better scanner than anything Snapmaker1 could do.

Without rotational movement, the snapmaker can only scan from above, not the sides. Even if they somehow made a module with a rotating camera, the tiny build volume is going to mean that the largest thing you could scan would be like 25mm³. The larger Snapmaker2 might be able to accommodate a reasonable volume.

If you want professional, you’re probably better off contacting a 3D scanning service. It’s not going to be cheap, but they’re going to have better equipment, and know how to use it properly. I believe there’s quite a bit of post-processing to get a usable model from a scan. I’m a noob, and still struggling to make basic changes to parts I download.

2 Likes

I am thinking ahead, maybe and integrated solution in a Snapmaker 3. Time and technologies change so by then there may be a good solution.

Doug

I didn’t necessarily want to show or recommend the Ciclop as a role model, but you can even buy this device. At Thingiverse you can also find other versions and I could also bring examples from Arduino forums or Youtube. Why the stupidest idea to use a 3D printer for scanning doesn’t die out is probably because some printer manufacturer actually had this nonsense in their program.
Did he also find fools who bought this module?

1 Like

Better ideas you will find with “photogrammetrie” on Youtube !

1 Like