Need help with 40w laser

I already submitted a support request but figured I’d post here too just in case.

I just received my 40w laser this week and I’m having issues.

Symptoms:

The laser doesn’t seem to want to turn on. I’m using the beginners guide file of the rulers. The only thing I changed was the cutting size from 5mm to 3mm since that is the size of the basswood I’m working on.

Things I’ve tried/noticed.

1. During the origin set modes the section for turning on laser power doesn’t seem to do anything. It worked once or twice for a brief second but it always turned off on its own after a max of 2-3 seconds so I could not confirm exactly where the origin was. Now, it doesn’t seem to work at all.

2. When starting the file originally, it kept saying the doors to my enclosure were open even though I triple-checked multiple times and they weren’t. I finally had to just turn off the door sensor completely. This let me proceed but the laser never turned on.

3. Even though the laser never turned on, the module and the bed moved around like it was trying to engrave and cut but it seemed off.

4. The actual movements didn’t seem to match the size of the wood I’m using. It seemed to limit itslf to the back right corner. I’ve tried zeroing the origin multiple times.

5. The ETA says it it should have taken almost 4 minutes but the project seemed to end in about 1 minute.

6. Luban and the SM 2 firmware appears to be up to date with no more updates being seen. Luban is at 4.11 and firmware is at Snapmaker2_V1.19.0

7. Side note about firmware updates. When I first got my machine the WiFi remote updates worked great. About 3 or 4 updates ago, this stopped working completely and I’ve had to do manual updates ever since. Is there any ETA to when this is getting fixed? I think I asked about this the first time and was told that the repair should be in the next update but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

8. I’ve tried power cycling the whole machine, rebooting my laptop and reseating all the cables. At this point, I don’t think the cables are the issue, but if you have some specific troubleshooting about cables, I’m open to it.

Any idea what could be wrong? I’m primarily interested in fixing the laser right now because I have several projects I need to complete in the upcoming weeks.

Please help!

Thank you!

I guess your enclosure is open or faulty.
The 20w and 40w lasers do not work if the enclosure is open even not if it is turned off (not really sure in this case but if I remember correctly this is fact).

Maybe try to disconnect the enclosure.
You could check your enclosure status by entering M1010 in the console.
The wifi update should work again with the latest one, three or four versions ago the update was only able over usb.

Ok. That test says the door was open so i yanked out the enclosure wire and put it back in…again.
This time it seemed to work and registered as closed.
Thanks!
Now I have 2 new issues.

1. The origin doesn’t seem correct but maybe I’m misreading it. In the top down view in luban i am choosing top right as the origin and thinking that on the printer thats front left but the test file printed on the back right and the file was cut off.

2. I then did a new test with some images and the printer started went to the front left as expected then just stayed there for the whole proccess and nothing was done.

Can you help with these issues?

Front left means front left.
I would suggest to not print from Luban, there could be connection problems.
I send every gcode to the machine and start it from the touchscreen.

Maybe this helps you:

Note, i am a user like you and no snapmaker staff.

Yeah, I only tried sending from Luban once for 3d printing and didn’t like it so I only either save to USB or remote send.
Mostly USB since I have to get up anyway for remote send.
I did try remote send for tjis issue and ot didn’t help.

If the doors are open (or the device thinks it is) it won’t do any movement but give you an alert on the screen. I am using an Artisan, but it should be the same on your device.

So a movement which looks like lasering without light sounds more like a boundary test. That’s what you can (and should) select before the real run to identify that the result will be on the right place.

You have to share the file or more information.
What do you see in the gcode preview?

Ethan Laser.zip (2.8 MB)
Heres a zip with the gcode

I am wondering if I may just not understand job setup and origin setup. Especially the difference between the object and workpiece.
Is there a dumbed down version of this? Like I was a child? I have some brain damage and that may be whats going on.

OK. I’ve rewatched some tutorials, reread the wiki and help stuff, and did some Google searches. I think this is where I’m getting SUPER confused.

Workpiece Size

The size of the material (also called the “workpiece”) to be engraved or cut, determines the canvas size that Luban will display for you to place the design on.
Work Origin Mode

Workpiece: In this mode, you can freely adjust the position of the design within the canvas.
Object: In this mode, the design will automatically align with the work origin when generating the G-code.

They are using similar words without explaining. What is the difference between the object and the workpiece? I 'm assuming the object IS the workpiece since you have to set the object size.

Basically here’s what I want to do.
The 40w laser does not have a camera. No idea why they did that ass the camera solved this for me using the default one.
I want to position my canvas at the front right or front left. This way I can align the corner of the material as perfectly as possible with the corner of the platform. I then want to set the origin of the laser to that same corner.
This way I can easily align everything and don’t have to worry about where the center in Luban lines up with the center for the center of the material on the platform.
It wouldn’t be an issue if I was using material that covered the whole platform but I’m using all different sizes.