Mounting a Pi to the Snapmaker Enclosure

Hey everyone, has anyone who got the enclosure, found a good spot to mount the Raspberry Pi to it? If so, where and how? I would like to attach my OctoPi server to it so it’s one less thing I have to worry about when moving the printer.

Thanks.

Robert

Mine is attached to the printer in a case. It sits tucked behind the touchscreen mount. It is part of the printer.

You don’t find that the great from the printer is affecting the pi? That’s my fear, that it would have a negative affect on it and cause the pi to overheat. Especially with long prints.

That’s a very good point. The Pi case is indeed very warm. For now I ended up placing the Pi behind the enclosure. Fortunately the Pi cam cable is able to reach all the way back there. If i ever need to move the printer, I’ll just have to disconnect the Pi.

I mounted mine where the screen bracket sits… and then the screen at the top attached to a filament guide. I have my camera in a tower on top of the case. The lights aren’t working so well at the moment - I blame my bad soldering. A fan at the back with a vent on top keeps everything cool.

Mine is currently just lying loose inside the side door of the enclosure. I tried to put it where kelvin8r put his and it’s too tall due to the extra stuff I’m putting in it (relay board to automatically switch the printer on and off and the associated cable feeds).

I’m wondering how easy to drill out 2 or 4 holes through the acrylic to be able to attach the pi using screws to the back of the enclosure. I’m just not sure if the drill bit would crack the acrylic.

With holes though, can use a case like this, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2413372 to mount it to the enclosure with a screw and nut.

I want to try to attach mine to the Snapmaker base plate, as kelvin8r did, so that it comes out with the printer. The problem with mounting it to the enclosure is that the camera is attached to the Y rail, so I’d have to wrestle with the camera cable.

Now that I have the enclosure, I’ve moved my Pi outside of the enclosure. I’m thinking of mounting the Pi using 3M command strips because

1. I do not have the right equipment to drill acrylic,
  2. I do not want to risk cracking the acrylic

I’m also planning to attach the camera to the interior of the enclosure. Good reason to come up with a new Pi cam holder design. :slight_smile:

This way I do not have to worry about extra cables from the Pi and camera if/when I need to remove the 3d printer from the enclosure.

So this is my solution for the camera…

I bought this camera from monoprice for $15 and removed part of the base.

I ordered LED strip lights and will put them inside the frame around the top. Will use a zigbee ballast to connect them to, so I can have them automatically turn on when I turn on the smart switch for my 3d printer, via
a rule in Smartthings.

I was thinking of 3m tape for the pi but I have tried that in the past and the pi fell off over time. This was with a Rubbermaid bin I used as an enclosure. I’ll have to give it a go again.

@fio316a That’s an interesting setup for the camera. Shooting from the back. Would the lights you’re going to put around the top give the camera some glare?

That’s neat you’re using Smartthings. I have my Snapmaker hooked up to a smart plug too, but the light is controlled independently.

Use the 3M VHB tape (used on GoPro mounts). They seem to be more permanent.

Right now I have an LED strip in the front and I get no glare. I’ll put pictures up once I do the LEDs. It may take a while though before I get to it as the zigbee controller I ordered is coming from China.

I printed several of these to help with camera cable management:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1037722

I just stuck them to the base plate with double sided tape.

My IR camera setup is still working really well for monitoring prints, although I’m considering adding servo control for vertical movement. I should be able to drive the servo straight from the Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Here is the view from behind. I feel like because of the huge extruder the Snapmaker has, it’s easier to see what’s going on.

1 Like

That works pretty well. Interesting view. Thanks for sharing.
I’m considering using this to mount the Pi cam to the enclosure: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2227728
I’ll probably print a few of the clips that @TheBum suggested for cable management.

My Pi cam setup… for now. Ended up remixing this mount: