Minimize rocking

well the bearing are not frictionless or weightless, you likely have changed the inertia profile for back and forth movements…? wonder what that does to backlash… ? acceleration… ?

i could imagine it changing slew wobble (left to right wobble with no change in vertical height, not sure how to describe it so i guessed word slew) - less rattle sounds attractive if there are no downsides.

–edit–
rails ordered (and yes my wife laughs at the boondoggle a 3d printer is and the things i have bought for it, lol)

@scyto i think because the footprint of the bed and frame is now spread out between 4 rails instead of 2, they are also acting as vibration dampers. The guide rails bearings are in no way pushing up on the frame, only acting as a support. I edited the brackets in Blender to chop the height down perfectly for my machine and guide rails, can’t rescale them in the slicer because it also makes the groove seats where the frame sits in them shallower, and they need to retain their depth so manually editing them was my only option.

1 Like

@Artezio how did you secure the rails to the snapmaker enclosure rails?
i looked at one picture and see binder (aka bulldog) clips.
But in the other pics i am unclear what i am seeing?

@scyto mounting them to the enclosure turned out to be unneeded. They’re incredibly solid with no give. As an added note, I think you should opt for the other version posted in this thread. You won’t have to drill into the baseplate. Drawback is it’s more expensive. I’m actually going to do that to mine. I wish I had known about them before I drilled into my plate :sweat_smile: I already have the other parts. Just need to disconnect my enclosure and lift it out of the way so I can put the shorter feet on the base. It also means it’s adjustable, drilling into the plate is not.

Did you ever take video of this? i am watching my printer and touching my finger very lightly against build plate during movements like that. (Its the only movement that gets translated into vibration on my desk so i get how vicious it is :slight_smile: ). I am not detecting any wobble on horizontal or vertical planes. I am not sure if i am too dumb to figure out what i am looking for or not. Hence the ask for a video :slight_smile: lol.

@scyto Redirecting...

holy crap, are you all seeing that? i have nothing like that going on

@scyto good. But it will happen. Normal wear and tear and you will need to eventually retighten the carriages inside the rails. Hence… this whole thread lol.

@WilliamBosacker it never happened to me so I’ve never had to do it. @scyto was just asking for a video of what we were talking about when we say rocking, so I linked that.

1 Like

could that up and down wobble also be caused by loose bearings / nuts on the carriage in the linear module? i see lots of places for play to creep in…

@scyto here’s a better illustration.

1 Like

cool, i will back out of this thread as i am not, yet(?), having the issue, thanks all for entertaining my questions, really appreciate it.

3 Likes

Thanks for your work! I got my rails on, and they work great! First print is underway.

They look great :smiley: hope the print comes out ok.

Mine came in… I’m feeling kind of lazy about doing it… was it easy?

@MooseJuice no, gotta take the enclosure off so you can turn over the Snapmaker and replace the foot pads to lower it to the height of the enclosure. Then it’s a bunch of precise alignment, but they are adjustable.

It’s not too bad. But Artezio is right. The enclosure does have to come off, and then the alignment is a bit tricky. It’s maybe 2 hours worth of work overall. One thing to note though, make sure your 2020 brackets are actually 20mm high. The ones I got first were a bit over, and blocked the block from it’s full extension (which meant it couldnt home).

i dont have my enclosure assembled yet. so it will be a good time to finish them togehter i guess…

im all achey with a shitty back and dont wana deal with it.

I’ve finally done the mod myself as well:

I’ve made some modifications to the adapter that was mentioned earlier in this thread so you can adjust the height with a nut:

this makes the installation a little bit more convenient and easier to do (what you see printing in the video is actually the wrench I needed to finetune the adjustment as the clearance is rather small :slight_smile:

I’ve done some prints already and that works very smooth. I hope to see the biggest advantages when using the cnc function (which I will try later this week). Especially curious how it will hold up with dust flying around. The rails are just lying the base plate. Using some painters tape to make the slide around less. This seems to work pretty well actually.

I’ll make sure to publish the stl files and a description on the mod later this week

3 Likes

As promised: the stl & source files have been published. You can find them:

Feel free to use and do let me know if you need some help with it.

1 Like