Minimize rocking

How about using Full Extension Drawer Slides?
They are narrow (1/2 inch) and sturdy so they might fit an A250.
An A350 would need a 12 or 14 inch pair. Just a bit longer than the bed travels.
3DP the mounts to fit.

@jgb The A350 isn’t an issue for finding rail support, drawer slides aren’t exactly precision. I already posted an idea for a precision t-track (same kind of concept as drawer slides) with a part that holds a delrin wheel that rolls along the track. More details in one of my comments above.

It’ll work in the short term. Given that they’re supporting a heater (heated bed is still a heater), they’ll creep and deform over time.

As for precision, I would mount the rails with a bit of upward pre-load to the bed.
It was just an idea, not a tested solution, unlike your solution which I’m sure works well.

1 Like

@jgb sorry for the confusion, I was so tired yesterday I had a tough time explaining anything very well, all across the board yesterday.

What I meant to say was your idea is pretty much the same as mine, only instead of choosing “drawer rails” use a linear t-track. Drawer rails pretty much are t-tracks but aren’t manufactured to the precision tolerances of actual linear t-track rails.

Agreed. Just drawer rails are a lot cheaper than precision T tracks and only need 1/2 inch wide space to work in.

Hello to all, I have the A350
And since I got the assembled I was thinking about this issue.
To start the 4 points witn the cousion rubber
Has alot to do with the rocking
Creating a more stable. And clamp to those areas will help alot.
With respect. Any thing added to minimize. The force and stability is related.
I have done any thing accurate yet but.
I have keep this as priority to get this piece of equipment secure.
Hope this help and thank you all.
Oscar.

So I noticed the rocking of the bed during 3D printing especially when doing small movements back and forth and it always bothered me but I did not realize how much until I saw this forum post :wink:

So I decided to get some linear rail and ran across this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D9JRPG9

The 1st review:

So I decided to order these and then figure out how to make it work.

It is not a solution to a 3D printing problem unless you 3D print part of the solution.
PreachBrother

So I decided to create a bearing block support piece in TinkerCad:

After some tinkering on the height and size of the support I found something that worked:

The linear rail is resting on the base plate of the machine and hovers over the rails of the enclosure, so for now I am using binder clips to make sure the linear rails don’t move side to side:

This is temporary until after I move and print a more permanent mounting solution for the linear rails.

For now it works has stabilized the bed during movement:

The doors of the enclose can also close with linear rails and the binder clips installed so that makes it usable for the short term:

So next steps for me are:

• Better support mount - Centered and stronger connection to bed mounts
  • Linear Rail end mounts
  • Profit!
1 Like

Another useful solution. One thing I’m noticing though, is that all the elegant solutions are based on having the enclosure and that’s missing from my setup.

Anyone have a mounting solution for these kinds of rails that can work directly on the base itself?

As long as your Snapmaker is sat on a surface that is large enough you could use either of the solutions mentioned above and just make some riser blocks to support either end of the rails. If these were screwed down to the surface it would provide enough support. This was going to be my original plan until I got the enclosure.

@eableson i think they’re based around the enclosure because the rails have to extend beyond the base plate in order to work.

Please tell me I’m not the only one that gets this reference :joy:

As far as your brackets go I’m going to give them a try. Here’s my rails, but the brackets were a little too thick and so took them off and I never actually have used the rails.

I like your brackets and they look much more professional and sturdy than the TinkerCad thing I put together. I would love to do something in metal to fit with the bed and the linear rails. I wish that the two mounting holes in the corners of the bed lined up with the holes on the bearing blocks.

When I get the chance I will be redoing the brackets but for now I am happy with the solution and there is no rocking when doing an infill on a wall where before it was a noticeable up and down movement on the bed that just bothered me.

The brackets were designed by 3DNate, couldn’t scale them down on height because the depth of the shoulders are perfectly matched to the Snapmaker frame, so I shortened them a tiny bit in Blender to fit mine without pushing the corners up and without losing the depth of the shoulders. I just haven’t had a chance to actually put them on, my Snapmaker is pretty much going 24/7. BTW the brackets are designed specifically for the rails you linked from Amazon. OrangeA SBR16 800mm

1 Like

That is awesome. Thank you. I will start printing and ordering parts today :).

Is this an issue just with CNC? aka when the head physically pushes down into the plate (i have seen when the 3d head accidentally pushes it’s amazing the amount of deformation)

I am struggling to understand the importance of this for 3DP as the head never pushes against build surface - are some folks experiencing floating rocking / wobble back to front or left to right of the carriage platform where it is mounted on the linear units mounts?

Scyto since the platform itself wobbles from back and forth motion, and would even be a source of vibration with swift enough motions.

I recon it is a good addition to the unit. i kinda wana do the same

Those who have done this or similar… see a difference in your part quality?

Since that review is so oddly specific about mentioning the snapmaker 2 i think ill just buy it and og for it lol

1 Like

@scyto its to stabilize the bed as well as keep the corners of the bed from drooping. It might even reduce the stress on the carriages, lengthening the time intervals of them coming loose, that’s my opinion though, I don’t have a way of proving the part about the carriages.

1 Like

Yeah it looks a fun project, one could even order extra bearings and or rail and do a 3rd rail in center or put bearings on the the other far flung edges :slight_smile: (i even checked prices, yeah i know doing the 4 corners is likely good enough).

I guess i am blind because as i watch my base 3dp i see no signs of vertical wobble at all ¯(°_o)/¯ thats the root of my confusion. For CNC i think i get it as there would be physical pressure from the cutting head i think?

At $60 for a fun project i might try for a giggle and see if there is any difference on mine.

@scyto I’ve also personally witnessed much less “rattle” since installing them, which was not the intention but welcome. It’s quieter and I don’t even know how to explain why.

1 Like