Laser cutting/engraving Using MacOSX , alternate programs

I’m getting ready to test out the laser cutting/engrave portion of my A250, but the Luban software leaves a lot to be desired in getting the image ready to engrave. Anyone aware of either a cura mod or another program that would allow better control over the laser g-code?

Thanks,

GWFAMI

Lightburn is what I use and it works well.

1 Like

If you’re just trying to convert color to b&w and adjust grayscale/contrast etc. then Gimp works really well (and it’s free).
It has a menu choice called “color to gray” that lets you adjust a bunch of parameters easily. You still will need Luban to create the toolpath.
It will take some practice and trial and error to get the results you want.
-S

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ve used Gimp for years so that’s an idea. I’ve downloaded Lightburn and will give it a go.

Your final output won’t be any better using Lightburn. However the user interface is more friendly and has some functions that may make the path to get there easier.

I recommend taking a small sample (10-15mm square) of your art and repeating it 5-10 times with a range of settings for speed or power to help dial in. Then decide if you want to repeat with a narrower range of settings.

-S

1 Like