How to start laser engraving

Hi all,

I need some indications on how to star learning about laser engraving with the SM2.0. I have to say that I have zero knowledge about image processing and I have never used Photoshop, Illustrator, GIMP or any other software of that type. I have just started using Inkscape for drawing paths to be cut with the laser.

I am aware that this could be a huge topic, so I am just asking for some tutorials on how to convert a picture like the one below in something great with the snapmaker.

By the way! I am using Luban 3.9.0 and I cannot see the options for ā€œB&Wā€ or ā€œGreyscaleā€ as I have seen in some tutorial. Is this a feature no more available in the newest Luban versions?

Picture2

Tanks for your help! Any indication would be more than appreciated.

Well, Iā€™m sure thereā€™s more ways to accomplish this than there are people with opinions. Iā€™ll start with mine:

Hereā€™s what I would start with on that image, specifically to burn a grayscale image of that.
Open in GIMP -> Convert to Grayscale
Process image to draw out details:

• Curves
    • Even more useful with color images.
    • The Curves tool will allow you to adjust Whites, Blacks, Midtones, and Contrast, and more all in 1 tool - learn to love it. In color Images, the Curves tool is even better and can be used for color grading and balance.
  • Levels can help in a similar way to curves - similar adjustments, line rather than 2D graph.

Save as PNG -> open in Luban, Grayscale, see how it does. Repeat image processing if unhappy.

If you want to laser cut out the outline, in inkscape you could Trace Bitmap to generate an outline, offset the outline with Path->Offset to make it bigger, then export that 1 path as an SVG and use that in Luban to cut.

That would be 2 separate operations, and I havenā€™t used Luban with multiple objects. I do know in Lightburn you would align those 2 images (SVG and PNG) using 2 layers, set one layer as a grayscale image, and the other layer as a cut operation, and itā€™ll generate the gcode to do both at once.

4 Likes

I have no image processing experience either so I will steer you in the wrong direction there however I do knowā€¦

These options seem to be based on the type of file imported into luban. So my gues is that whatever file type your using can not be done in Greyscale or b&w

1 Like

I use a software called Affinity Photo (like $100) to modify photos and pictures. they do have a 30 day trial I believe. I convert into black and white using a layer, and going with the default.

Then export it to svg by going to the menu, choosing export, then choosing SVG. It wonā€™t let me post the SVG, but hereā€™s the png:

1 Like

hi all another newbie question for you. i am trying to use an old photo to laser etch. i get it into Luban but when i process whole pic turns blue!! what do i do from here

Brent, sorry to ask Iā€™m also new and wanted to ask a question as you look like you know a bit about laser cutting. In Inkscap when you want something to be cut out would you use the colour red? I have been looking online but finding it hard know the answer. Just wanted to know when saving my work and then importing to Luban want to make sure one colour it for cutting and one for etching. Thank you in advance. Mattie

I donā€™t think the color is important. Anything that is a path I believe will be followed when Luban reads the file.

Heā€™s asking about coding the cutting vs. engraving by color which some programs allow for having both cutting and engraving in one file.

In Luban you need to have separate files for each different setting you want to have. You can then import the files into Luban and run them as one job. Just make sure you set the cutting path to be last. By default theyā€™re run in order of import.
-S

Thank you thatā€™s very helpful. How can I keep the ratios the same one I import to luban? Just use the same resize? Mattie

Right now you canā€™t actually change h x w ratios - known bug.
If you mean sizes, just make them match. Make sure youā€™re importing all the same sizes from your graphics program. Also, there is sometimes a bug where it doesnā€™t import at correct size. Usually if you know the size your graphic was from your graphics program if you just manually type that in in Luban youā€™ll be fine.
-S