Laser/CNC touch panel operation - Control of Z-axis movement

Damage to the linear module due to table contact caused by misoperation during Snapmaker 2.0 touch panel operation has been observed. With the introduction of the bracing kit, when the Z-axis is lowered by 10mm through jog operation on the touch panel, there is a risk of the linear module being damaged upon collision with the table. Additionally, there is an increased likelihood of IC chip burnout due to collision loads.

Proposal:
For laser and CNC processing, when approaching within 20mm of the table Z position specified in jog mode, we request an interlock to prevent the 10mm downward setting on the touch panel from being activated. Instead, only 1mm or 0.1mm downward settings should be enabled to avoid the risk of sudden collision with the table at 10mm.

In Snapmaker 2.0’s touch panel operation, the proximity of the X-axis right button and the Z-axis up/down buttons may lead to accidental presses or contact while holding the touch panel, resulting in damage to the Z-axis module due to unintended 10mm descent and subsequent collision with the table. The absence of escape points for force during collisions with the bracing kit can lead to mechanically significant damage. Moreover, such contact incidents may result in human accidents.

Proposal specifications:

Ability to set the height of any table surface.
Apply an interlock allowing only 0.1mm or 1mm downward increments when the Z-axis approaches within 20mm of the specified table surface.
Enable the 10mm setting only when the Z-axis is more than 20mm above the table surface.
Due to the occurrence of damages caused by inadvertent mistakes or mispresses, we kindly request preventive measures to be implemented in the touch panel software.

For Snapmaker 2.0 purchasers who may not be familiar with the mechanical operations of laser engraving or CNC milling, as well as jog operations on the XYZ axes, there are users who might encounter equipment damage before fully utilizing it. Therefore, I believe that implementing these safety measures and preventive strategies would be effective not only for Snapmaker 2.0 but also for future sales promotions.

This issue is not only potential but also affects power users. For beginners, the risk is even greater, as they may damage their Snapmaker before even fully enjoying its capabilities, leading them to give up on creating creative projects altogether.

If you agree, please leave a comment.

I’ll disagree, as I don’t believe that’s a reasonable suggestion. You can’t program in the edge cases for every user error. What if I have a 30mm block, 20mm lockout wouldn’t help. You just have to be more careful. Live and learn.