Jammed nozzle & module - still fixable?

Woke up this morning to see this, very sad :sob:

I tried to heat up the nozzle to pull out the filament, got most out but the wires are still tucked into the filament, then smoke came out and I immediately shut down the machine to avoid further damageā€¦

One of the components (some sensor?) on the module is pushed on the side by the filament.

My questions:

1. Is this sort of damage covered by snapmaker warranty? Guessing not but would like to confirm.
  2. I will attempt to fix it myself, any suggestions on what NOT to do?
  3. How to avoid this from happening in the future?

Thanks in advance!

Get shovel, dig deep, deep, deep hole so you can send it back to the maker in China. Nope not salvageable, nope not covered under warranty. Been there, done that.

Hi, I had similar event happen (see picture), pulled the solidified blob out of module with force (broken nozzle embedded), and replaced with replacement heater nozzle in the kit. Plugged module back and an has printed several items without issue.

If you can, open the door on the module and loosen the grub screw (see the video I link), then see if the blob+nozzle come out cleanly.

Youā€™ve almost definitely lost the hotend (Iā€™ve even had some simple clogs I failed to recover from), but those are only $7 (and you were given a backup too).

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Iā€™m happy to report that I pulled the stucked hotend with a hairdryer + plier, and replaced it with a new hotend. The distance sensor shell (black plastic) got melted a little bit by the hotend and no longer point straight down, but it appears to be still functional.

The new module still works. However, when I tried to print the same design yesterday (with a different filament). The same thing happened again.

1. The build plate was on the ground when I discovered the incident. The layer appears to be shifted at around 30% progressā€¦ Iā€™m guessing this is due to something on the module (fan outlet or the sensor?) got in the way of the layers.
  2. Blob already built up on the hotend

Any tips on how to fix & avoid this issue going forward?
Thanks!

ā€œbuild plate on the floorā€ means the head probably ran into the print. It could be a few things: your gcode is bad (and itā€™s trying to move over existing lines) or your extrusion is too high, causing bulging.

Recording a video (e.g. use a phone to do a timelapse maybe) of the print should help you to identify where the error is. If itā€™s an extrusion problem, you can probably tell in just the first few layers, if youā€™re spitting out too much filament, it could be hitting the previous layer, and you should be able to see that pretty early in the print.

You might want to run through https://teachingtechyt.github.io/calibration.html (donā€™t do PID autotune, it doesnā€™t work on SM) to make sure you have some working baselines before trying such a huge model.