How can I fix this mess

Hi to all,
I printed with PLA, Jan explained to be more precise, with 200 degrees nozzle temp and 60 degrees bed temp.
After round about 3 hours, I heard very strange noise from the printer, checked it out and found this:

Did somebody see this already?
And does anybody have an idea, how to remove the material?

Thanks for some ideas.

Martin

Uh-oh, you’ve got yourself a blob. I don’t think it’s even nearly the largest one ever posted here, though.

Hook the module back up, heat the nozzle to 200 or so, grab the blob with a small pair of pliers and tug, and if you’re lucky and it hasn’t invaded too far into the head’s interior, it may just pull loose.

Thanks for the hint.
I will test tomorrow and hope for an easy try.

You’re probably going to damage the hot end getting that blob off, as it looks big enough to have stuck to those wires. There’s a spare shipped with the machine, and it’s good to have a few extra around. Note that the air vent by the nozzle is plastic, meaning it will melt if you try to use a hot air gun (mine got melted by the blob!).

Update from my side:
I heated it and I had the chance to remove half of the blob.
And than I saw, that the material moved inside the tool. I try to attache picture. Fortunately (I think so, it is. :blush:), I was able to unmount the hot end. So I will heat it outside and try to remove the PLA with caution.
Let’s see.

Update will come.

Martin

A heat gun works really well too. Harbor freight has them cheap.

Yeah once the hot end is out, clamp it in a vise and use a heat gun. Don’t do it while the hot end is installed in the module though.

1 Like

Or, just throw it away and spend 8 bucks on amazon for a new one. I keep about 5 in my box at all times.

Thanks a lot for all the hints. Was very helpful.
And yes, finally I removed all stuff, but pulled out the heat sensor by accident. And as far as I can not identify, how it was fixed and what is from the blob and what was for mounting, I ordered a new hot end. May be, I can compare and fix the old one.
I will see!

Talk to you!

1 Like

The hot end temperature sensor is infamous—by default, there’s nothing holding it into the hole it’s supposed to occupy, so it pulls out at the drop of a hat. You can just stuff it back in without any adhesive, although some people have used a bit of high temperature thermal paste (not the standard CPU stuff, you need something that’s good to ~300C) to help hold it in place.

You should have a spare hotend if you check that little plastic toolbox.

order a small handful of them, 3 or 4. while you can also switch nozzles out, eventually it gets to the point where swapping the hotend out is worth it.

1 Like

Hi to all.
Sorry for the late reply.
Solution was to replace the hotend. The temperature sensor did not longer work fine due to not having the full contact caused by some material, which is still in the whole.
Now all works fine again.

2 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: welcome back!