The Dreaded Blob

Yeah, I had left the machine running and thought everything was fine, after an initial print run. Ran into the dreaded blob that has completely encased the3D module.

There is no way to remove it, so I have to replace the entire module. Any idea where to buy a new one? Cannot find one on the Snapmaker site.

You may need to contact Support, if the module isn’t otherwise available. There’s surely some way of removing the plastic, though—the question is whether it can be done in such a way as to leave the module functional afterwards. :wink:

In increasing order of aggressiveness/damage, depending on how much of the module is encased:

1. Hook the module up, heat the nozzle to printing temperature, and try to pull the plastic away once it’s hot enough.

2. Replace the hot end.

(At this point in the list, you want to contact Snapmaker Support for advice to avoid voiding your warranty. The risk of damage rises sharply after this point.)

1. Open the module and try to pick and/or cut the plastic out.

2. Apply an external heat source (a heat gun?) to soften the plastic, and then try to pull it off/out.

Man everyone has that blob now and then, dont give up

Take pictures lets see what you workin with after you try the above steps

Sometimes its caused by bad assembly at the factory and we can help you look at that too.

Modules cost 115 dollars plus shipping thru support@snapmaker.com

just got another one for a spare.

I’ve contacted support, waiting for a reply.

The unit will not heat so it BBQ’d. I’ll have to order and buy a replacement through support. The module is not available anywhere so I’ll switch to the laser to do some experiments, though I am keeping a fire extinguisher nearby… :slight_smile:

1 Like

at least you are a good sport

Well here is a photo of the BLOB. Safe to say it seriously did some damage and apparently overheated. I cannot even break it loose.

The black piece underneath the module melted too.

2 Likes

Wow, its the biggest I have ever seen. You have the actual record! :+1:

1 Like

that is pretty impressive.

Get out a hair dryer perhaps you dont have a hair dryer, you are about as bald as i am. lets call it a heat gun.

I bet you it can be repaired to at least functional, the hotend might need replaced

id be surprised it its legit borked.

The hotend may have been leaking internally too, thats a thing.

even if it is totally dead, get that blob out and harvest the components for servicing. particuraly the prox sensor and the limit switch inside.

getting a replacement module isnt too bad, a few days for them to repsond to inquiry paypal about 115 bucks and then you will get in about a week (at least thats how fast my recent one came in)

Well I got a heat gun. I will give that a try…

1 Like

Well tried the heat gun, no joy. Here are additional photos of the 3D module. Note side doors were removed for “removal” of the extruder.

Like that would now ever happen.

Now trying to persuade them in letting me purchase a new module. They are either not reading the messages we are sending or they automatically assumed the thing is removable.

Here are additional photos of the disaster:

So yeah it is fugly bad.

May end up buying another unit just for the dang parts and then sell the pieces on EBay for giggles to recoup my expenses.

The only good thing about this mess is that when purchase a new 3D printhead, you will get the new one, V2.5 with improved partcooling. But it made me pain to see the pictures!

If they are not reading that you want to buy a new one, just say flat out “i want to buy a spare 3d print module give me a price and a link to pay”

they like to fiddle fuck around and dont speak english well.

I thought I might have experienced the blob until I saw this thing. Nope. I sure hope i don’t have to. That’s crazy.

1 Like

I sent them more photos after getting this link from them.

There is no cleaning the hotend for this monster mess. I will hope they will at least give consideration to getting me a new module. Perhaps the new type of unit will prevent this kind of stuff.

Not the unit causes the BLOB, the hotend did.

You know its really not as hard as it seems to get that off.

If you would like and want to ship it to me id be glad to do it for you, and in the event it is borked i can frankenstein my bad module with it too. surely we can salvage one of the two with the parts. I now have three 3dp modules, so i dont mind doing that. i am pretty familiar with the module and have disassmbled most of it already and feel comfortable with it.

Send me PM if you are interested.

And regarding support, if you are wanting to buy it, just say that you want to buy it as a spare part give me a paypal and a price, i dont know why they are so difficult about it sometimes lol

Going to keep just for parts. I will send that request again. I do want two of them.

1 Like

So I have to ask…how did it get to that point? Any failed prints I’ve had so far have been because something got knocked over (or printed in the wrong orientation), and I ended up with spaghetti, but never something like this. Just wondering what to look out for to avoid a similar problem.

Sometimes if you have over extrusion instead of bumping the part over the filament might fuse to it.

Another potential source is if the heatbreak (the steel tube in the hotend) is not sealed against the nozzle, it will leak. That is to say - the nozzle should not bottom out on the aluminum block, but on the heatbreak instead.

Well, I was not there when it happened. It looked very good with nothing out of the ordinary and everything was in place. I left for work and in the morning came home with the Blob growing or trying to. I did stop it but it was toasted by then. The heated nozzle was at zero.