Is there a way to add a second extruder, dual extruder?

Is there a way to add a second extruder, dual extruder?

I need to print carbon fiber based filaments.

Also, I need both PVA and PETG loaded at the same time.

Etc.

What do you think?

1 Like

It is already planned.

If a second extruder is to be made possible, then please consider allowing one to choose a high-temp-all-metal-hot-end and or a ruby-based-hot-end, so one can print CarbonX and other carbon-fiber-based-filaments here. The motivation is that if one wants to print high-quality strong functional part (that possible might replace some steel parts) then that would be a big leap forward in terms of overall functionality and help make a great desktop 3d printer. That would be great, IMHO. Please consider it. Thanks. ā€“ Mark Kamoski

2 Likes

You can swap out your nozzles for ruby tipped or hardened steel enabling you to print with abrasive filaments. No need to change the hot-end material unless I am mistaken, I thought the nozzle itself was where wear occurs as the hot end has a PTFE tube lining it.

1 Like

Ok, but (being a noob) I am wondering-- why not print with a ruby-nozzle or a hardened-steel-nozzle all the time? Is it the case that a hardened-steel-nozzle will work for something like CarbonX but that nozzle will not work for PLA? The ā€œswitchingā€ seems unnecessary, or what?

I think the brass nozzles are better in conducting heat to the filament. And brass nozzles with ruby tips are rather expensive for providing them with the printer. (just my guess though)

2 Likes

You can already have a mod to add a full-metal hotend and add a hardened nozzle ( copper/steel/ruby ) to print carbon fiber . Here you have the information:
FYI: Snapmaker 2 All-Metal Hotend Simple Mod

There is also the MMu2s feom Prusa correct? Snapmaker is marlin flavored gcode so technically you should be able to hook that up and use that to print in 5 different filaments right? How hard would it be to connect something like that to the motherboard? Has anyone done it yet? Iā€™m not sureā€¦ but Iā€™m very intrigued at the idea of printing in 5 dofferent colors for $299

Regrettably impossible.

shoot. there goes that possibility.