Is there a speaker anywhere on the 2.0?

Some printers have a speaker on them just for random beeps for button confirmation, finished print, etc…

I’m just curious if maybe the controller has a speaker on it somewhere that isn’t being utilized.

Thanks,

Andrew

The controller does not. The touchscreen might, but it’s obviously not being utilized at the moment.

There definitely aren’t any openings for a speaker. The case is solid, so if there was it would be muffled.

-S

why do you need a speaker, just use the steppers :wink:
(15) 3D Printer Plays Music - Harry Potter, Star Wars, AC/DC, Jurassic Park - YouTube

1 Like

It’s funny that you say that, I had just thought of that last night, lol.

Why bad?

Because of course everyone should use floppotron instead :wink: (15) Paweł Zadrożniak - YouTube

Seriously though, one shouldn’t push stepper motors past their envelope just to play sounds :slight_smile: unless it is junk already. I note the sound marlin command is disabled in firmware so unless someone finds a mystery speaker hidden somewhere you are SOL unless someone figures out how to do opensource community hardware modules for the CAN bus :slight_smile: … … …

2 Likes

It’s coming. There’s actually going to be a separate CAN hub module to connect your own custom made modules.

yup that was my assumption after what a few had implied (seems some of you have an inside track with snapmaker - which is cool, can you get them to fix some stuff too :slight_smile: )

@sdj544 its actually been public information for quite some time. Hidden in the middle of blog posts etc.

1 Like

@WilliamBosacker its already public information if you bothered reading the blogs completely. Besides, the hub is ready for preorder along with the purifier.

this seems to be a hub with the custom(?) CAN connectors that just allows multiple official accessories to be connected (cause there are less ports than accessories now?) this seems mostly neutral wrt whether community expansion is possible. Without them selling can bus cables / receptacles not sure how anyone is building something to plug into this?

1 Like

@scyto it could be a different hub, I think the other one is star shaped.

@WilliamBosacker “ The module firmware became open source in October 2020. The potential of controller and module firmware both being open source is unfathomable. We are also developing Snap-star, a standalone piece of hardware that is essentially a “translator” for the machine. Users can DIY addons themselves by connecting to the ports on Snap-star. It’s possible that you can control your Snapmaker 2.0 with a gamepad one day.”

1 Like

@WilliamBosacker i never said I was talking about the same thing as you. @scyto (somehow that got mistagged to the wrong person, oops) mentioned custom modules, that’s what I was referring to. It says DIY modules right in that blog post so that’s what I was talking about. Somewhere along the line it was assumed I was talking about the same thing as you and I wasn’t.

We are so fortunate to have a quasi-staff member with inside info dropping these teasers for us.

4 Likes

I believe some members have also started making their own custom hardware modules for use with snapmaker. I remember reading some fascinating posts about it involving making their own pcb and such.

A little creativity goes a long way :smiley:

1 Like

Lee Jihun is one of them. He just created a diamond bit drag knife for cutting glass. While he hasn’t created any electrical component yet, to me… this counts!

1 Like

Thats neat!

I also saw someone make a vinyl cutter

I wonder if someone can figure out a way to pour wax thru the nozzle to make 3d wax models for investment casting prototypes. I know these machines exist, it would be interesting to figure that out!

1 Like

@MooseJuice There’s two vinyl cutters, Lee jihun’s is the good one. That sounds interesting about the wax :face_with_monocle:

Ewww the monocle on here is ugly

Ok if you really want to go for making your own pcb for custom modules for the Snapmaker, look into the Voltera V-One

1 Like

You could probably make it work with a heatblock that accepts a stick of something 10mm in diameter or so and melts and channels it into a nozzle. That would work for wax, or hot glue, or even chocolate or candy (water/ice, too, if you were willing to print inside a freezer)—anything that’s solid at room temperature but can’t be drawn into something as fine as filament, and melts at a reasonable heat level. The interesting parts would be figuring out how to feed the stick (I can’t seen any method but pushing it from behind working, but I’m not an engineer), and doing material runout detection. If the head was third-party manufactured in the West, it might even be possible to get it certified as food-safe.

Another interesting head (to me, anyway) would be a syringe-type dispenser like the ClayBot(?), for clay, solder paste, frosting, soft dough, and other semiliquids.