Is it possible to extend the Y-axis?

I would like to laser engrave longer objects, longer than 125 mm. Is it possible to use the Z-axis extension as Y-axis extension?
Maybe swapping the cables of Z- and Y-axis and generating the g-code with other software?

@Dre64 Unfortunately you have to figure it out by yourself,- i haven´t my original anymore.

So what i read here, it should be possible to enable custom machine size by M1025 M1 via console:

Yes you can. I’ve turned my original into a 220 mm build surface with the z extension rails. You do have to change the settings on the software side though.

2 Likes

Looks great, with 4 Z-axis extension modules. In Luban the machine settings can be modified for all axis as I see in above screenshot. The M1025 M1 command enables all three axis to extend to 220 mm? Or do you need to modify the firmware?

At the moment i just select the snapmaker 250mm from the start up option because for some reason it doesn’t let me select the custom settings once the machine is connected. I’ve been thinking of adding a limit switch in parallel with the one that it comes with so I can add it to the other end of the axis so I won’t have any problems with the gantry crashing into the opposite end since it thinks it’s 250mm.

It works! I bought the z-axis extension and mounted as y-axis.

The use of M1025 M1 I don’t understand. It doesn’t change anything to its behaviour.
By the way: 3D printing with a long y-axis doesn’t work. It wont move beyond 125mm.

1 Like

How did you connect the two z-axis modules electrically? A splitter in parallel circuit?

As far as I know, SM original has one linear rail for each axis. To increase the Z-axis, you replace the Z rail with a longer one.

I don’t know if there are limitations on doing this with the X or Y rails.

Likely the firmware would need to know about it.

You could ask support if they know if it’s possible.

There are two ports for the Z axes, on the control board.

That may well be the case, I don’t know since I don’t have that model, but you can only install one of them at a time.

Yes, that works! The second z-axis plugged into port number 4 and both move simultaneously. Now I can make a rigid gantry.

Yes you can connect a second z axis rail to port #4.

1 Like

I really like this idea!
Do you have a BOM or drawings to share for the baseplate, when setting everything up with 4x extended axis? What are your experiences so far with this modification and did you solved the y-axis limit for 3d printing?