Inkscape to Luban troubles

Hi .,
Can I ask anyone who uses Inkscape + Luban
I’ve been using Inkscape for a month or two , but when I save my image as an svg and then try to load into Luban 90/100 times it either won’t create the g code or the file is blank .
I’ve tried searching here and the web for clues but nothing works .
Any ideas ?
Thanks .
Neil…….

What’s your type of project?
May share your file so there could be some testing?

1 Like

Depends how you’re drawing in Inkscape. Things like ‘text’ saved directly to an SVG file may not really be “line art” as Luban can understand it. There are extra steps needed to convert it to a path.

Or, applying Inkscape textures and filters or patterns to fills might similarly not show up.

One option is to export everything from Inkscape to a PDF. But then you have to tell Luban to interpret that as either grayscale or vector, and it might want to laser both ‘inner and outer’ edges of a thick outlined part, depending on picking ‘on the path’ or whatnot.

In short there’s a little to be learned about how illustrations are made and formatted, even if the file type is right. (And btw I don’t claim to be any expert, either - some of the above might be imprecise or wrong - I muddle around myself sometimes. Nothing more annoying than forgetting to object-to-path for ONE line of text and not happen to notice before lasering something incomplete. Been there, done that.)

1 Like

I am using exactly this combination, but on Linux.

Never had issues while importing SVG files from Inkscape.
Did you try a different file format?

Inkscape offers two types of SVG - generic and Inkscape specific. I don’t know what the difference is. For my import to Luban i am using the generic SVG type.

So far i have exported text only, no different graphics

1 Like

Hi .,
I think you should get paid by SM for answering all my questions!!
I was playing around with it again today trying to figure it out but I had read that svg isn’t always the best option, so I saved as a dxf and low and behold it worked just like that .
Before this I’ve had some work but not others and I couldn’t tell what the difference was but if Mr svg does not appreciate some curves and other shapes that could explain it .
Thanks
Neil ……

1 Like

Hey Spuck .,
Thanks for your help it’s awesome .
Linux what the hell is that ? , I’m very late starting to mess around with computers and all that’s involved , I stumble along at a disturbingly slow pace and learn little bits as I go .
I had tried both types of svg and I couldn’t say if either worked better .
Funnily enough after spending yet an other day playing around, I tried this morning and saved with the dxf and it worked just like that .
So I’m hoping that trick will do for my future projects.
But thanks again I appreciate any help anyone has to offer .
Neil………

Thanks for your help .
I’m kind of happy to hear that I wasn’t just missing an obvious mistake or two .
I get what your saying about the depths of knowledge in graphic design if I can call it that , to me everyone has a trade of some description and knowledge base , but mine is definitely not in computer design as I keep finding , however I muddle through learning here and there then forgetting it .
I did stumble across a fix for now by changing the files from svg to dxf.
I actually missed out that Luban accepted dxf and up to now I’ve been running them through a dxf to svg converter program, so don’t I feel stupid ! .
Well I really must thank you for sharing and helping me , you obviously fly a bit higher than I do in this field but thanks once more I really appreciate it .
If you ever need help screwing up I,m a good guy to ask and 60 years of experience.
Neil………

1 Like

The better operating system :wink:

Me neither. I did not run a bit-by-bit comparison, but i have some feeling that both SVG is the same, just the name changed

I recently created some text i wanted to laser on glass. For this i simply use PNG for exporting/importing. Reason: Using SVG leaves some spaces in the overlapping characters. These are filled properly in a bitmap image.

Oh, I’m no graphic designer either. But, I have muddled around perhaps with this a tiny bit longer. Otherwise sounds like I’ve been about half a decade behind you in messing things up.

We all learn down here (puts on evil Pennywise mask)…just pay it forward when you can.

Here’s my tip: If you have elements in the SVG that Luban fails to render or use correctly, select the regarding part(s) in your SVG in Inkscape, and in the “Path” menu select “Convert Object to Path”. Save SVG again, and that usually loads properly in Luban.

2 Likes

hi maybe you’ve done it ? select you’re picture and go then to menubar “path” and select “bitmap …” then " single scan" then below this popup “activate or apply” it wil generate a second black and white graphic…
delete to the original picture and select the new one and “save as” svg ( change the extension of the file to svg)
this should work in “Luban”

1 Like

Hey Harry.
Thanks for your help and suggestion.
I’ll give that a try tomorrow , is the issue on Inkscape or our old friend Mr Luban or a combination ?.
I would lean towards Luban but I can’t say for sure ,just it’s not a very flexible or very friendly process to work with .
It seems like it’s the # 1 weak link in SM ‘s products but I’m not that knowledgeable about Lightburn or other options as an alternative .
My #2 weak link would have to be with customer support ,I’ve been dealing with them for over 3 months and 35 emails about my camera capture that didn’t work from new , then a week or so ago I did a factory re-set and it’s started working .
So I’m kinda pissed at them for that ,I’m just hoping I don’t need to deal with them again .

Well thanks Harry , I’m only 5 months into this so I appreciate any help I get .

Regards ,

Neil…