I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with my laser.

I’m starting to wonder if something is wrong with my laser.

2.5 mm plywood

Jog Speed: 1000 mm/min

Work Speed: 60 mm/min

Passes 12

Pass Depth: .25 mm

Fixed Power: 100%

This should in theory cut through. I’m even giving it a few extra passes space to make sure it gets through. That only went about halfway through the wood.

I’ve calibrated as per the book. Piece of paper (.1mm), bring the head down until it’s just just snug enough to pull the paper, but pushing it in stops the paper and it folds up. I’ve used a ruler to make sure the surface (slid it across to make sure there were no higher areas than another) I’ve got clamps holding the board down so it’s flat as well.

I don’t get it and it’s making me very frustrated. 3D printing was not an issue. I’m scared at this point to give the CNC a try.

Different plywoods behave differently as the glue used plays an important role. How does your laser perform with the thin plywood that came with the machine? You should be able to cut that at 300mm/min at 100% power in 3 passes.

How many layers your plywood is made of? What kind of plywood: birch?, bass?
For 2 mm aircraft birch plywood (4 layers) I need more than 40 passes at 100 mm/min.

I read someone saying that he needed lot less passes using 50 mm/min

It’s this from Home Depot
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdg-2-7mm-4x8-utility-ply-cedar-poplar/1001384323

HDG 2.7mm 4x8 Utility Ply Cedar/Poplar

Using my calipers on multiple spots, it’s more 2.5mm consistently.

You should be further than 1/2 through poplar with 12 passes at your speed, power and step down.

Are you certain your calibrated your laser focus correctly? are you getting thin cut lines or wider burn marks?

Are you using the calibrated focus height?
Have you tried manual focus?

You could try a simple line test. Create a line 15mm or so.
Then run your current settings at different heights.
Start with your lens hood 5mm above work.
Then run a pass at that height and then 1mm above and below.
(might want to remove lens hood to make sure you don’t run it into work piece)
See which works best and then try around that height and continue to narrow down.

-S

Thin cut lines.
I’ve tried on the same wood I’ve been trying to cut, cereal box and card stock. All of them seem to auto calibrate fine.

@Puuka, the settings you posted don’t work for me either. My 2 cents, don’t cut plywood with the laser, the glue requires too many passes. You can consistently laser through hardwood without internal glue layers, or very very thin plywood, but I haven’t had good luck with plywood due to the internal glue layers. It’s too hit-or-miss for my liking. I’d rather CNC, no char on the edges that way also.

@sdj544 Do you laser through plywood, or do you always CNC?

I haven’t done that much plywood. Only used laser though.
Had some spare ply that I couldn’t get through at all.
Did some Xmas ornaments in 3.2 birch ply from Hobby Lobby. Took 16 passes @140. I’ve definitely found that intricate items take more than long arcs and straight lines.

-S