[urgent help] blob of death, salvaging and more

Hello everyone.
I recently encountered what many in the 3D printing community seem to call the “Blob of Death”. This is such a ominous name that I wondered if I would be able to salvage this part at all. I’m not rich and frankly, there’s no clear documentation on how to clean it up or clear it off. I would use a heat gun but I’m worried about melting the fan shroud or the bl sensor. Right now the only course of action that seems slightly reasonable is using a soldering iron but before I resort to such a tactic would snap maker provide me a free piece or something? And is there a less brutal way to do something like this?
Best,
Ishaan S

As you can see its quite bad!

URGENT PLEASE RESPOND!
j.f.y.i.
1 Snapmaker is less then 12 months old
2 Never Encountered error like this, and I bed level before every print
3 Adhesion was fine and I just got a new base as mine was scratched up because I had a elephants foot problem

Use a dremel and start chipping away. Probably a good first step.

Print must have been running unattended for some time to get to that point. While it’s of little help now, never run jobs unattended, or at least have octoprint with a camera to monitor.

First thing to try is heating the nozzle, and if you’re really lucky and the wires aren’t mired it the blob, it might just pull loose. Second thing to try is to see if you can get the hot end out. (I realize that you’re probably mired beyond hope of either of these solutions, but I thought I would mention them just in case.)

Some people have succeeded in clearing these with a heat gun, but yes, it can warp the fan shroud. Your other option is, as already suggested, to cut or melt selectively.

There’s at least one case of Snapmaker Support sending someone a new print head after a blob disaster ( Plastic blob on 3D print nozzle and heating wire has come off ), so if the printer is still under warranty, it might be worth contacting support before you start messing with heat guns etc. If you are going to contact them, do it sooner rather than later to reduce the chances of your support request sitting unread in someone’s inbox over the Chinese New Year, which starts in three weeks.

1 Like