Heated bed not getting past 40c

I’ve been printing on the SM2 successfully for the past 3 weeks. After a print completed today I went to make another one, however the bed temp would not get past 40c, I had it set to 80c for PLA+. The SM is sat safely and stationary and I cannot imagine what has caused this. Any ideas?

Actually looking at it now the temp is down to 35c and wont get past this

Dumb question - have you restartet the hole thing after it went down?

A few times, its getting up to 55c now, but after 15mins no hotter

can you exclude there are niot any cable defekts especaly at the heatingbed were the wires go in?

Just checked and the cable is slightly damaged - please see the photo. Don’t know how this can happen, it’s in the enclosure so I really think this is a design flaw. It seems like the cable can catch on the lower linear module and get pulled during printing.

I will make something to clip it higher to avoid this in the future. But how do I replace this cable?

You can easly open the cover and if you good in soldering you can repair it for yourself .

Ok, thank you, time to get the soldering iron out and give it a go

Opened it up and negative is severed whilst live is partially exposed.

Given how much current flows through here for the heated bed this is a serious design flaw that can cause a short. They need to add a hinge here - this cable is being repeatedly bent up and down as the bed moves back and forth and can catch on the linear modules.

Search on the forum someone has designd such a thing

Thanks, I’ll take a look

It is a poor design. people have created reinforcements for it.

I personally have not had any issues with mine, it stays pretty straight. i dont put any tension on the cable though,

Thanks for the help @stefix, soldered the cable back on and it’s working. Found the cable supports on another thread too so should be able to prevent it happening again

The issue might also be the cable catching on the lower linear module - so might be worth supporting the cable on the vertical linear module to prevent this.

Thanks for reply, have much fun and stay healthy :mask:

1 Like