Filament that is running low

Hello, forum members.

I’ve been using a soldering iron to melt and connect filament when it gets low, but what do you guys do with the filament when it gets low?

I was just curious so I thought I’d ask.

I just rely on the filament runout sensor (and so far this has been working well for me)

If I run out of filament while building, does the sensor put the build on hold and allow me to load new filament and start over?

I’ve never tried it because I thought it might not be possible to come back from the middle.

This is a good opportunity for me to test it.

Yes it does.
The printhead goes to the home position until you loaded the new filament, push in the new filament, click the reload on the screen. And then resume. It will extrude a few cm to prime the nozzle and then move to the print and continue where it left off.

Note: this does assume you started the print from the touch screen. If you’re using something external like Octoprint, this won’t work.

Thanks for the info, brvdboss.

What happens if you run out of filament while building?
I actually tested this, and it was very easy to replace the filament with a new one.

However…
I don’t remember for sure, but I think the nozzle temperature was kept at a high temperature after the filament ran out and it returned to the home position.

If you run out of filament in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night, or if you have a long time to wait for a filament change, you may not feel safe if the nozzle temperature is too high.

For example…
If there is no action after holding the nozzle for 10 minutes, how about returning the nozzle temperature to room temperature and then increasing the nozzle temperature with the filament change operation?

Is there any harm in this?

I would have to test explicitly, but so can you :wink:
If I remember correctly the nozzle does cool down, but the bed stays heated (which is needed or otherwise the print would just pop off).

Having the nozzle hot for that long would be highly undesirable indeed. It has been a while since I’ve used this feature and most recently it was actually on purpose where I deliberately used leftovers to when making some toys for my son that I wanted in multiple colors anyway and the exact location of color change wasn’t critical. I usually was around so the hotend didn’t have a lot of time to cool down, but in my head I remember that it did cool down upon filament runout.

Just try I guess, start a quick print and clip the filament, you’ll know soon enough :slight_smile:

Hi, brvdboss.

I’m not sure about the nozzle temperature, so I’ll check it again when I have more time.

I think it’s better to maintain the temperature of the heat bed, because if the temperature drops, it may cause problems with the adhesion of the heat bed to the molded model.

I just had an intentional filament runout yesterday in an effort to finish off a spool to get rid of it, after which the nozzle remained on. it was on the entire time i was doing what happened next…

This event caused an issue with my filament switch somehow and jammed up the intake of the print head to the point it took me 45 minutes of screwing around before I finally said broke down and used a drill bit to break it up, and even the bit went thru the obstruction and but it was still jammed in there so I had to size up to the next one to break it up.

While I can now freely pull filament through the head, now the module says i don’t have filament and its just dead.

I have a 2nd module I am using now that i ordered as a spare, but I am pretty displeased with the whole event. Had to recalibrate on my glass bed which is a pain and lost my print process and i dont have my blower on the 2nd head yet and it just sucks.

Support sent me an email about how to try to adjust the switch, so I will try this out, but I am not optimistic about it seeing as how it was essentially ceased and I believe that something from the switch must have gotten hung up on the end of the filament and caused it to jam up.

Hi, MooseJuice
The translation software may not be interpreting this correctly, but you are saying that the nozzle temperature was maintained, which caused the nozzle to clog and leak sideways, correct?

If it doesn’t interfere with the others…

1, Stopped due to loss of filament
2. Nozzle temperature maintained for 10 minutes
3. Stop the nozzle temperature if there is no action after 10 minutes.
4. When changing filament, nozzle temperature, load and reverse can be done at will.

I am not sure if this proposal is possible, but I would like to submit a request for improvement.

I’m on the road right now, so I haven’t verified the nozzle temperature yet, so this is tentative.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

No, physical jam in the 3dp module was not related to the nozzle being hot, it just happened separately.

Had a quick test right now and the nozzle stayed hot indeed. (as well as the bed).
Didn’t wait for very long, but I don’t think there’s a timeout.
And as this is implemented in the screen we can’t look at the source code (yet)

I would like to reconfirm that when the filament runs out, the indication to replace with a new filament appears and the nozzle temperature is maintained as it is, whereas there is no action after that.

What I would like to check here is that after the instruction to replace the filament is displayed on the touch panel, the nozzle temperature is maintained at a high temperature until there is support.

In the case of molding over a long period of time, if the operator is not aware of the filament change status, the nozzle temperature is maintained and for safety reasons, the nozzle temperature is returned to room temperature and the heat bed temperature is maintained while waiting for the touch panel operation instruction.

Is there any problem with increasing the nozzle temperature and ejecting the filament when the touch panel starts the filament replacement process?

If not, I would like to submit a request for improvement to Snapmaker-Controller on GitHub below.

Please let me know if there is any problem.

1. Filament status detection

2. Filament replacement display on touch panel

3. Nozzle temperature is lowered to room temperature until an operation instruction is given.

4. Filament replacement instruction on touch panel

5. Raise the nozzle temperature.

6. Filament replacement instruction

7. Filament replacement

8. Eject the filament from the nozzle.

9. Continue molding instruction

10. Resume molding from the point of interruption.

Maintain the temperature of the heat bed during the interruption and do not allow it to drop.

There were no objections, so I proposed it.

I have forwarded this issue to our firmware developr.

1 Like

@Edwin
Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy schedule to respond.
I have just been informed that it is now also eligible for development on GitHub.
Thank you very much.