Filament Jamming

I apologize if this is a rehash of previous conversations, but I couldn’t find anything for my particular issue quickly searching.

I had been running into jamming issues after running my A350 for a few months off and on, and replaced the hot end. It worked great, and I was able to get through a week long print without issue.

I changed to a spare bed, changed the layer height from 0.08 to 0.12, and have been trying to print the same model again (regenerating G code), but have failed three times now.

I’ve recalibrated the bed height, cleaned the drive gear chamber, made sure I don’t have dust on the spool, and cleared the jam each time. I always try loading filament several times before running again to make sure that the jam has been cleared.

I’m a bit stuck. I have another spare hot end, but it would be frustrating to only get a week’s worth of printing out of them before they fail.

Is there anything else I should be checking?

Is there a possibility that the nozzle is getting clogged (maybe only partially)? What kind of filament are you using?

I’m using PLA spools from the snapmaker store.

The result is the same every time as pictured.

I feel like the extruder isn’t able to keep up with a speed setting, but I don’t understand why simply moving from 0.08 to 0.12mm layer height would do that.

Does it jam predictably? If so, would it be possible for you to record a video of the print running then jamming?

I’d wager it’s jamming because it’s too close to the bed. I’d start by bumping the Z height up by .1 mm

The first layer should not have filament being pushed up around the nozzle

It’s pretty predictable during the second layer, yeah. I don’t have a solid camera setup for it though.

I can give that a shot next time I try it, but I’m curious how printing at 0.08 would work, but 0.12 wouldn’t, if that’s the case?

There’s a complex relationship there that isn’t really worth going into here. At a high level you could think of the initial height and extrusion rates (which is what the layer height ultimately is) being variables getting plugged into a y=mx+b type formula with different initial offsets and slopes where at some point the 2 setups will converge to failure at some final height.

Suffice to say, the important part is your first layer extrusion must look perfect for any well-defined results.

You’ve got the rightmost picture going on

Huh. Thanks a lot for the extra detail.

I wonder if I’m just doing something wrong during calibration. But yeah, I’ll definitely give it a shot when I try the print again.

I mean, technically yes because it’s not working, but it’s not that abnormal. The instructions on setting the tension on the card are more of a guideline to get you started and then as you gain familiarity with the machine you’ll have to tweak up or down a bump to improve the first layer. This is common with all 3d printers. Some people need to bump down, looks like you need to bump up.

There’s even an on-the-fly adjustment in the touchscreen when you start a print job if you notice the first layer looks too low you can bump it up by a tenth or 2. I’d probably start there rather than recalibrating everytime. It gets saved and will persist through power cycles.

This really was great advice. I put in a 0.1mm adjustment, and it’s been happily buzzing away ever since.

Thanks again for the advice and info.

1 Like