Filament Guide for snapmaker

Keep that filament where it should be!

3 Likes

Justin

Well played “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”

Doug

2 Likes

Just checked in on Thingiverse. 375 downloads! I was pumped… and wanted to share lol. I hope you all are still enjoying your printer! That is all.

3 Likes

Hi @jstncrft

Federal Authorities will be advising shortly that Snapmaker is a device of addiction.

Keep having fun, I am.

Doug

2 Likes

Thanks for your mods for the Snapmaker. You inspired me to go down the mod process too. Your filament guide was the first mod I printed for my printer. This is such a great community of makers.

2 Likes

I’d be much happier if someone design a simple print that could turn the filament spool 90 degrees so it runs nicely off the roll. Driving me bonkers!

1 Like

My idea is to move the filament mount from the back of the Z axis and have a swivel mount on the top of the Z axis. The problem is, we would need a taller enclosure

Doug

@Blonski @doug fellow Snapmaker user @Ardjan designed one (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2823943) and i’ve been testing it this week. It’s pretty solid design. But yes, you would need more vertical space for it.

1 Like

@Ardjan and @kelvin8r

In good old Australian vernacular “…bloody brilliant …” I will have a go at it in the next few weeks. I am currently obsessed in designing and printing bespoke parts for my RoboChair project.

Doug

1 Like

As already mentioned, I have designed a spool holder which holds the spool above the build plate. The filament just runs straight down: no tanglement possible.

See the link that was posted. I just edited the description, added two pictures of the final (?) V3 version and removed the „Work in Progress“ mark.

It will not fit in the upcoming enclosure, though :slight_smile: I will see how the filament runs in the enclosure, and if I‘m not satified, i will see if I can design something there. Maybe even take another plate of acrylic glass for the top and cut a square for my holder and a slit for the filament…

3 Likes

Hi @Ardjan

I look forward to printing your great idea in the weeks ahead. Even with the current enclosure all you need is a hole in the top of the case wide enough for the filament to feed through and just mount your spool holder on the outside top of the case, providing it can take the weight; may need an aluminum cross beam across the top between the sides.

Have a great weekend.

Doug

The main idea was having the filament go directly from the spool to the printhead. So i would need a slit, because the printhead is moving left-to-right.
I really have to wait for my enclosure to see how I can solve it… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Did you look at how far down the axis could be and still not interfere with the X-axis and cables?

1 Like

Yes, I did. My largest spool (1 kg) is not reached by the X-axis in its highest position.

I printed it and I LIKE it. As I suspected the axis is perhaps a little higher than it needs to be. Especially if you use the @kelvin8r Minimal Spool Guide in conjunction with it. One other change I would add is a little more room on the part that holds the tools to include space for the two small hex wrenches and the holes for them.

1 Like

@Ardjan Clever design!
The experience generally is that top loading filament is superior, not surprisingly.

We do generally have the filament roll out at the bottom of the roll (yes, the toilet roll question for filament) because then it is easier for the filament to get pulled through. Yes, the Snapmaker manual says so as well!
This is because the friction the roll itself generates on the holder, which is on the top (gravity…). So it prevents 1. high dynamic friction filaments from getting stuck and 2. the filament tangling into itself on the roll.

Definitely going to print this item.

I Make Therefore I Am
Ralph
Product Designer @ id-z.one

1 Like