Filament tube. It helps. Also, Filament guide

For the printing module Snapmaker should think about including tubing to help guide filament into the printing module. I was having some issues with it getting snagged on things and twisted up in the cable coming out of the module. I “borrowed” the tube that came with my makerbot, but I think this is the same stuff (link below). Its one of those little things that really helps. You don’t need much of it.

I am also thinking about making a filament guide that connects into the screw holes on the top and comes down at a 45 degree angle with a hole big enough to accept the tubing. It will help ensure that filament stays just where I want it.

SnapLinks -- Wiki

Hi Justin:
We will consider to add a tubing. Thanks for sharing

Very good…

All the “high end” 3D printers I have seen have such a guide of some form…

Consistent “drag” on line feed makes a difference in print quality (as I have been told)…

william…

Good idea. I’ve been seeing dust on top, around the inlet from scraping the filament while feeding. I’d be interested in seeing the design for the guide.

I am not sure that I will be able to get to designing a guide any time in the next couple weeks, so if someone else has the time or know how it may be worth taking a stab at it. My 3d drawing skills are pathetic so I promise it won’t be quick or good looking. I’ll work on it as soon as I am able though.

I don’t think it needs to be anything too complicated. Here is my quick 2 second drawing. Something like this paired with the filament tube should be slick.

Here’s what I came up with. It seems to work pretty well. It works with or without the filament tube, I think. I need to test it with a couple of large prints that span the whole print area to see if it snags or anything.

A “spring wrap” can assist in keeping kinks out of the guide tube…

The spiral wire in notebooks could do it nicely…

That’s a trick I used for pneumatic tubes in automated control systems…

In fact, pneumatic tubing, or pex water tube might handle the feed well…

william…

Here is the file if anyone else wants a filament guide or wants to improve my basic design.

Thanks for designing this. I printed it last week and it is working well.