Exteme loud power supply fan

Anyone get a 5-pack and want to sell me one of the quiet WINSINN Hydraulic Bearing fans? It seems Amazon is sold out and the only ebay sellers are in Australia or UK (I’m in California).
If this doesn’t happen… if anyone else wants to get one I could get the 5 pack and then distribute stateside.
thanks!
-Ryan

1 Like

I am in CA as well and want to try one. I will split the pack with you.

Caleb

I bought and replaced the fan with this 35mm one - the power supply became quiet. However, intermittent noise occurs in another internal large fan. It is a pity that the quality of the fans does not match the A350 cost ((

I’m having difficulty swapping the pins in the plug, any tips?

Use a small screwdriver or awl or tweezers and push on the metal retainer while pushing the wire into the connector. It may take a fair bit of force, 10 lb or so or less. You have to get the retaining clip to pop over the plastic cam so that it can pull out.

I’ll find a better tool for this later, I ended up stripping, twisting, and taping (individually, then together) wires just to see what the difference level in noise was. That is CONSIDERABLY quieter! I would prefer what I consider a safer, better polish without having any of the wires exposed, but it’s not like there’s a lot of current running to the fans. Sounds like there is more than 1 fan in the power supply - not just the back fan. Any luck in replacing another? Or am I hearing something else and attributing it to a fan noise?

I must be dumb but i bought exactly same cooling fan (Winsinn 3510 24v hydraulic bearing fan), plug it into PSU after reversing polarities, and i cant make it work.

I try to reverse back polarities, nothing
Thinking That i made a mistake, or wrong connexion, i put the old noisy one and it make his noisy work…

Does anyone have a clue of what happening ?

Does the fan work if you connect it to another 24V power source?
Maybe you received a faulty part.

It’s a mix of bad luck and stupidity…

At first, i used snapmaker fan connector with new fan (i broke a retainer trying to switch New fan wire ), but Matching red with black wire, dont work

So, I tried to plug directly a new fan (i get a 5 pack), dont work.

Switch wire on first one, dont work

Put back original one, work …

After posting, i realize that my first try was bad because of wire switching.
Tested fan on another PSU And it dont work. Tried a second one, and it worked.

Bad luck with 1 out of 5 fan ^^
Stupidity trying to switch polarity when i dont need to …

Thx for helping me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I bought the winsin 3510 with hydraulic bearing. A definite improvement - but there is more to go - think i may put a resistor in line next. It goes from stupidly loud, to loud but livable. Still not quiet enough for me to leave it on next to my daily PC.

In terms of reversing the polarity use a #1 flat head screwdriver and press the flat of the blade against the silver connector and it will slide out easily (shout out to my ifixt set that had all the need screw tips) i had to use almost no force at all. Dont use the tip of a larger flathead - i got nowhere with that.

I had a dbA meter to hand - here are my findings.

Background Noise
Ambient room noise (several PCs) - 35 dbA

Before
Meter 1ft from PSU - 57 dBa
Meter on PSU - 68 dBA

With 3510 Fan
Meter 1ft from PSU - 46 dBa
Meter on PSU - 55 dBA

–edit–

with 220 ohm resistor
Meter 1ft from PSU - 41 dBa
Meter on PSU - 50 dBA

NO Fan
Meter on PSU -36 dBa (only included as FYI for baseline purposes, with this i could just hear the internal fan varying speed sightly with high pitch squeak) this was with back plate off.

Really happy with the 220 ohm result once i push the PSU back towards the machine. I tried a 400 hm resistor too (well i had 5 fans to play with) and i liked that better but the airflow was less than i feel comfortable with at this point. If no issues with 220 ohm might switch to the 400 ohm down the line.

Thanks for all the tips above.

I just replaced mine with one of the fans you suggested.
On the plus side the wire is longer so it’s a more relaxed fit.
It does seem to blow a little less air though. Also if it ever stops working, the lack of noise would make this more difficult to notice.
However I don’t use my machine that often anyway and the reduction in noise is very evident.
Thanks for sharing!

@JohnFiott its not that big of a difference in airflow, did you install them in the same orientation as the originals and make sure to reverse the connector on the fan to correct the polarity? If one dies it’ll overheat and shutdown prior to critical safety failure. There’s a reason most power supplies have overheat protection, I’m not going to get into the required legalities and certifications about PSU’s, instead I’m just going to state that Snapmaker’s PSU has that protection. It was originally a MeanWell, but has since been swapped to an identical clone. I suspect that it actually still is a MeanWell but relabeled.

Just make sure to periodically put your hand on the top of the PSU case when it’s under load to check if it’s hot, and in front of the vents to check for airflow, this should be done as a general rule of thumb regardless.

Thanks for the information about the PSU. Yes I was careful about the orientation and also about switching the polarities.
This has really made a difference in the noise level and I am very pleased with how easy it was to achieve.
Thanks for sharing.

Working perfectly, I can recommend bying these fans, they are excellent. Thank you brent113 for a great tip.

1 Like

Refreshing to try a hack that actually works. Thanks, guys. One wonders why they didn’t use fans like these from the start.

So they can sell us an UPGRADED PSU now with QUIET-MODE TECHNOLOGIES! Of course. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for this suggestion for the noise reduction. I bought a 5 pack of Winsinn 3510 and upgraded my PSU successfully. The noise reduction is a real relief. I can now finally leave my snapmaker on at night, without needing ear protection for the background noise.

Since I bought a 5 pack, I have 4 left. So if somebody in the neighbourhood of the Netherlands wants to take 1 over, feel free to contact me!